Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Default Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level

Can anyone help with this? I posted on the other forum and had no reponses with 50+ views. I didn't think the questions were that tough.

subject car: 2002 E320 wagon in USA.

I bought the dipstick tool, spare fluid and a few of the locking pins. I also picked up a digital thermometer. I want to verify the fluid level and have a question or two.

I can see it takes quite a while to get the trans up to 80C. Once I have gotten it warmed up, do I just park the car on a level surface, let it rest for a moment with the engine running and verify the fluid level - - or - - do I need to select all gears (like an American car) and then check the fluid level?

Is there any significance to the 25C zone on the dipstick? Do I need to verify that as well or is it just a pre-check?

Do I want to be mid-point in the 80C zone or at the top (or bottom) of the permitted range?

Thanks for any guidance.
Thanks.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Default RE: Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level

So dipstick tool come with no manual?
Why did you open sealed case anyway?

Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 PM

No, there's no info with the dipstick tool.

Sealed case has not been opened yet.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 PM

I guess I know why none of the 50 viewers had a comment.
You are trying to fix a thing, that is not broken. If you really have a transmission problem, maybe sleepwalker might help you, but why are you messing with well running car?

Old 10-05-2005, 08:05 PM

the transmission was serviced recently. I am trying to verify the fluid is at the correct level, that's all.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:20 AM

in wagon e320 2002, the computer will let u know if fluid is too high or too low. if u have no warnings u have no worries.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:17 AM

I own 99 E320 wagon.
Don't recall ANY transmission service in the manual.
Do I need better glasses, or somebody else?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 AM

There's no such thing as something mechanical which does not require service. The laws of metalurgy,thermodynamics and chemistry do not exempt Mercedes vehicles.Find a Mercedes Mastertech and consult with them or a good independent shop. I used to drive BMW's and saw one owner after another buy into the bull**** about "no service required" on the automatic transmissions. They all had one thing in common; at about 100,000 miles they all ended up buying new transmissions.[/align][/align]Regards,[/align][/align]Will[/align]

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM

You'll also note that the newer Benzes now have regular transmission services again.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Default Time to reopen this thread

Gents, this is too good to pass up. Can someone give a story about them actually doing trans service and having success? Can someone give a story about doing nothing and having success (or disaster)?

At 118K I had my tranny fluid changed by my indie mechanic. It was refilled with Amsoil Synthetic ATF fluid. 3 years later, I had the fluid level checked. It was almost one quart low. After 60K miles, one quart of trans fluid is not bad in my opinion.

How often should tranny fluid be changed? Why are some people so upset about doing nothing?

Finally, how much does one of the auto trans fluid check devices cost?

Quick Reply: Finer Points of Checking Trans Fluid Level