Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems I think..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Default Electrical Problems I think..

Hello all, this is my very first post as you can see.
I am now the proud new owner of a 1989 Mercedes Benz 300 E Class

So, the problem started when I made the mistake to let my brother take the car for a test drive.. and he decided to do some donuts.. lol

When I tried to start it, it cranks, and starts, but dies out after a few seconds. So I left the car for almost an hour, came back and it started no problem. (Fuel filter maybe?)

Last week I got the car towed about 260 kilometers through a blizzard, because I didn't have snow tires ha ha. (Take that roadside assistance!)

After getting it home I drove it around town for a day or so. I went into the store for an hour, came out and the car was having the problem again.. this time it would not start at all, just crank. After leaving it over night, it would start then die again.

After about 2 days of trying it, eventually it just started again, and now it works with no problems again.

I put a new cap, and rotor in while it wasn't working for a couple days, and it didn't do anything. I have a new fuel filter that I haven't installed yet.

I was thinking it could be the fuel filter, or the ignition control module, or possibly even the spark plug wires. Because I was getting good spark coming from the ignition coil, but weak spark coming to the plugs.

Any help would be appreciated, all of these things are expensive to replace as you already know. So I would rather not have to replace anything else that doesn't need replacing.