Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E500 SHUTTING DOWN @ LIGHT WHEN COLD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Default E500 SHUTTING DOWN @ LIGHT WHEN COLD

I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR TWO MOUNTS AGO, ALL WAS GOOD. THEN THIS SHUTTING DOWN PROBLEM STARTED. I HAVE NOTICED THAT IT HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE IS STILL COMING UP TO NORMAL OPERATING TEMP, AT A IDLE WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN THE DRIVE POSITION. ONCE THIS ENGINE SHUTS OFF THE LIGHTS COME ON DUE TO THE IGNITION SWITCH STILL BEING IN THE RUN POSITION. I PLACE THE TRANSMISSION IN PARK, CYCLE THE KEY ONCE, THEN REFIRE THE ENGINE. AFTER THE ENGINE REFIRES IT WILL NOT DO IT AGAIN UNTIL IS COLD AGAIN(NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT). TODAY BY GIRLFREIND DROVE THE CAR, AND AFTER SHE GOT GAS WHEN THE ENGINE WAS STILL COMING UP TO TEMP, IT DID IT AGAIN. THIS TIME WHEN THE ENGINE REFIRED IT SHUT DOWN AGAIN. AFTER THE SECOND TIME THE ENGINE STARTED AND RAN, BUT W/ A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.
ONE MIGHT THANK, GREAT A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO TRACE THE PROBLEM FOR TROUBLE SHOOTING,BUT WHEN I GOT HOME TO DRIVE THE CAR THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHTWENT OUT AFTER FOUR KEY CYCLES. I KNOW THAT IF THE GAS CAP IS LOOSE, AND OR IS GAS IS PUMPED W/ THE KEY IN THE IGNITION THE LIGHT WILL COME ON. SO DID THE LIGHT COME ON FOR THE PROBLEM, OR BECAUSE SHE PUMP GAS??
I WOULD REALLY LIKE SO HELP WITH THIS ONE, IS THE TANK PRESSURIZED, & CAUSING THE PROBLEM WITH THE ENGINE SHUTTING DOWN, & THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, OR ARE THEY UNRELATED.
IF SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS SEEN THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned
Default RE: E500 SHUTTING DOWN @ LIGHT WHEN COLD

Where are you located.You can pick up a code reader for 45bucks or have the code read for free at autozone,shucks etc.
post the codes when you have them.They will still be stored in the ecu so the reader will show them as pending even if the light went out for the time being.
When you have the code we can figure a direction to travel.Car does not need to be running to read the codes.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Default RE: E500 SHUTTING DOWN @ LIGHT WHEN COLD

Ok.

First step. Any codes set even if the CEL is off.

If No CEL, No codes and problem persists it COULD BE the CPS Crank Position Sensor however it could be many other things.

However before changing this I would try to amass a little more evidence.

Service History?, Mileage?, Other problems?

You put significance on the refuelling.
Sure the gas cap gasket is good?
The system checks tank pressure and if low sets a code.
If the fault clears itself it can turn off the CEL.
However I would expect a code to still be present in the ECU memory.

Get a bit more data and see where that takes us.

Stuart

Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Exclamation still ok

three weeks later the car has not shut down again, i think that i am going to wait for the problem to get worse

Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM

it best to take it to the dealer if it only happens when cold look at what is happening while cold. the me (ecu) is running in open loop which is a fixed valuue ignoring voltage changes from 02 sensrs. the throttle actuator should open slightly 10 degress or so to increase idle a bit also the injectors willl run alittle richer to help the engine to stay on. check the fuel pressure with engine stone cold plug in fuel pressure gauge turn key on engine OFF the pressure reading should be constant 2.5 bar + if not you have a pump problem . then turn engine on the pressure should be above 3 bar constant. if not replace fuel pump and fuel filter. also read the codes of the car would be a great start.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Unhappy

01/27/2009

this morning when cold she lost throttle response, & when she came to stop the engine shut down. cycled the key & the engine refired, but with a check engine light that stayed on. drove the car home(one mile away), parked car & let sit for couple of minutes. then tried to refire & engine just cranks. spoke to dealer, they think possiby crank position sensor??? will try to start in the am to take to shop!!! if engine will not start, will have to tow

p.s at least that I have a check engine light that will stay on for trouble shooting!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM

01/27/2009
miles:100200
128.00 dollars later,fixed

I replaced the crank postion sensor w/ new oem. runs great, shifts better, & the best part, not shutting down.
thank you all for your help!!!