Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E430 spark plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Default E430 spark plug replacement

I have a 2000 E430 that is approaching 100,000 miles and needs new spark plugs. I would like to do the work myself but a few shops have warned me about the difficulty and length of time for the job. They quote 3.5 hours of labor! However, when looking at the plugs they seem fairly accessable....doesn't seem too bad. Am I missing something here? Where will I run into problems?

Where can I download the E430 service manual? Specifically for spark plug replacement? I noticed stainless steel stamped covers on the spark plugs/wires that I'm not sure how to remove.

Much appreciated,
Matt

Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Default RE: E430 spark plug replacement

Don't get upset. It is very simple. I have done it on 1991 190E.

You can takethe metal shield/cover by first turning them clockwise
or counter clockwise and then pull.

Make sure you remove one wire and spark plug and replace it before
removing the other wire/sparl plug.It is safe to number the wire such as
1,2,3,4 before removing them so you don't mess up with the firing
order of the plugs.Use MB tools from the tool box supplied.

Regards

Syed

Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: mditka86

I have a 2000 E430 that is approaching 100,000 miles and needs new spark plugs. I would like to do the work myself but a few shops have warned me about the difficulty and length of time for the job. They quote 3.5 hours of labor! However, when looking at the plugs they seem fairly accessable....doesn't seem too bad. Am I missing something here? Where will I run into problems?

Where can I download the E430 service manual? Specifically for spark plug replacement? I noticed stainless steel stamped covers on the spark plugs/wires that I'm not sure how to remove.

Much appreciated,
Matt
Hi Matt,

It is a bit of a chore, but no real tricks involved. Just lots-o-tight spaces.

You will need a few special tools, including a slim profile spark plug socket.
I used a Stahlwille socket#51, a 16mm socket with rubber insert.

A T27 Torx bit and a Low Range torque wrench (for the Torx screws- 8Nm),
and a regular range torque wrench for the Spark Plugs (28 Nm).

Another tool that made the job easy, was MB part# 110 589 01 01 00, aka
Hazet # 2771. You use the wrench to pry the spark wire off the plug.

Other helpful items were 3" and 5" extensions, and a U-Joint.

In all, it took around 3 hours. A preatty straight forward procedure.

Although the coils and plug/block areas ARE marked with A & B, I was paranoid, and just did one plug/plug wire at a time, JUST IN CASE!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 PM

JOE55,

Thanks for the instructions and tool list....very helpful. What is the Torx bit used for?

Matt

Old 03-27-2007, 02:59 PM

JOE55,

Thanks for the instructions and tool list....very helpful. What is the Torx bit used for?

Matt
You're welcome Matt, the T27 TORX is for the coil packs.

-J

Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM

J,

How much did you pay for you Hazet #2771 tool? The first place I called quoted $58! Do you have a cheaper source? If not, I was thinking I could make my own.

Matt

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 PM

J,

How much did you pay for you Hazet #2771 tool? The first place I called quoted $58! Do you have a cheaper source? If not, I was thinking I could make my own.

Matt
checkeither Baum Tools or Samstag Sales, these companies sell very high quality tools.
[/align]

Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 AM

To anyone who is going to change their plugs on a E430 - JOE55instruction and tools needs are 100% on the money - Just did mine,tip -get all the tools first before you start, and I used compress air to blow out the cavitity for any dust or dirt.

Does anyone know where the MAF sensor is located ?

Thanks
Joe

Old 05-07-2007, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: tristar88

To anyone who is going to change their plugs on a E430 - JOE55instruction and tools needs are 100% on the money - Just did mine,tip -get all the tools first before you start, and I used compress air to blow out the cavitity for any dust or dirt.

Does anyone know where the MAF sensor is located ?

Thanks
Joe
Hope this one will help you some.
http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/maf.html

Old 10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Red face

Thanks for all the useful inputs here. I got the spark plugs replaced on my E430 in almost 6 hours with scratches on my hands and arms while constantly cursing at German engineers. They made it so bad for maintenance by putting a V8 in an I6 compartment. On the engine block, they even left sharp edges to draw blood if the mechanics were not careful.
Look here at this photo,
http://i37.tinypic.com/ev5hrl.jpg
Do you see that sharp tooth in the middle of the picture?
It was a lot of tough work. 1/4 of the long work time was caused by dropping tools, bits onto the bottom cover then fishing them out.
In regards to the tools, the picture shows all the tools I had to use. Some of them dropped during the work so a spare was useful.
http://i34.tinypic.com/fymvp.jpg
The long conduit was used to extend the socket wrench, it's useful on the first turn to unscrew the old spark plug, very little force was needed to turn with long arm. In regard to the Hazet 2771, I bought a 4-piece Husky box wrench set from Home Depot for $12. Both ends of each wrench are angled. The 17mm was the one that fitted the spark plug boot. The yellow bolt cutter was used to cut roughly half the the rounded end of the 17mm. To prevent accident, before cutting, I positioned the bolt cutter onto the wrench, placed a heavy towel over it then cut so any metal fragment would not fly out to hurt anything. The file was to smooth out sharp edges of the resulted tool. Sawing would be safer but take much longer. The resulted tool was much like the Hazet wrench for a lot less money. If you notice, in the photo, one of the old spark plugs was broken. It came from cylinder 4B, nearest to the passenger side. Its boot was the toughest to pry out with my improvised tool. The long nose pliers helped to grip the broken spark plug from the boot. And if you take notice, there are only 15 plugs in the picture. The 16th is still on the bottom cover. I'll get it out on the next oil change. One last note. I'm starting to put a dollar in a piggy bank everyday. When the time comes to replace the spark plugs again, I'll have the dealer do it with the money in the piggy bank.

Last edited by cigaro; 10-20-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: E430 spark plug replacement