Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320Cdi- W211 Front Suspension Collapse

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Default E320Cdi- W211 Front Suspension Collapse

Car was sitting on the drive, then a bang, the alarm activated!- I thought a brick had been thrown. However soon noticed that front offside wing was sitting on the front tyre, wheels had been parked slightly outwards last night. It has done 33k from new, collected at Stuttgart- March 2005- mostly used on motorways. I read that front suspension collapse is a problem on W210 front- but I cannot find reports of failure on W211 front- any comments please- I think I have been so so lucky!! I guess it is a bust spring but cannot see anything yet.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 PM
DJ1

Hi this has just happened to my 05 E class in my drive tonight bang etc, my car is 7 months out of warranty (20K on clock) did Mercedes pay for you repair ? MobiloLife did not seem surprised, glad I was not on Motorway !!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Hi
This happened to my 2005 E220 2005 just. fortunately occurred at low speed. What was the outcome? Did MB offer any assistance with the repair bill?
regards

Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
DJ1

Yes Mercedes did, car was collected from my house and taken to dealer under mobilo life, new set of springs fitted next day free of charge and car delivered back to my house.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Default Same here

Originally Posted by sereku
Car was sitting on the drive, then a bang, the alarm activated!- I thought a brick had been thrown. However soon noticed that front offside wing was sitting on the front tyre, wheels had been parked slightly outwards last night. It has done 33k from new, collected at Stuttgart- March 2005- mostly used on motorways. I read that front suspension collapse is a problem on W210 front- but I cannot find reports of failure on W211 front- any comments please- I think I have been so so lucky!! I guess it is a bust spring but cannot see anything yet.
Well guess what the same happened to me, was driving along in my 1995 E Class 320 CDI on a duel carriageway when Bang! I thought I had hit something or run something over, I looked around the car but couls see nothing, just that the car was down on one side, it was still driveable so I drove it home for a closer look, The whole car is down at the front with the wheels just above the wheel arch pointing slightly outwards. Is this a common fault on this model, The car is only 5 year old with 50k miles, Anyone else had the same problem. This is a merc these things are not supposed to happen to a quality car like this, or is it just the same as all the rest, if it is It will be my last Merc, thats for sure

Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM

yes, a know problem. You <may> get some relief from Benz on the repair, for maybe half the normal cost if you really suck up to them. If you go in mad, you won't get anything but full list price on the perch and rivets, and full cost of labor.

But then again, you might not get anything.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:48 PM

3am outside on the street, my neighbour was awoken by the sound of my suspension collapsing! i've got a e class estate 05 reg W211 model.
towed away by mobilolife; dealer asking for £447 to fix both springs.
i didn't think new cars - especially mercedes should go bang in the night.
what if it had happened at speed? i'm concerned about the car's safety.
should i be asking the dealer to fix it free of charge, or changing the car completely?
can't say i'm impressed with mercedes workmanship

Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Is there a way to check the car regularly and see if the problem exists before this actually happens? Was there a service bulletin issued for this problem?

Some new MB models have a feature that in case of an imminent collision, the car will drop to the ground and try to slow down by drag. I wonder if they had to change the springs to help the cars do this.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Default Common Fault

I have had two front springs break in the space of 6 months. COULD SPEED HUMPS BE THE CAUSE, well they certinely dont help. You buy a class motoe like a Merc 320 CDi and Merc use standard springs, They should be stronger as the engine is a heavy engine and needs extra support. This is a design fault and should be rectified. Mercedes should take a look at this forum at the many people who have had the same happen to them. It cost me around £100 to renew each spring (Local Garage) not at a Merc dealer as they will charge you more.
Merc E Class Drivers be aware and be careful
jjrutter

Originally Posted by sereku

Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM

My 2003 e320 with 45k miles just had front right spring break also. Replaced both of them and they were all rusty. New ones from Mercedes have rubber on a few of the coils so they don't rust. I feel this should be a recall, but so far it's not.

Quick Reply: E320Cdi- W211 Front Suspension Collapse