Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Default E320 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

I need to replace the right rear wheel bearing on my 01 E320 wagon but can't seem to find much help anywhere online other than people saying it is fairly easy. Anyone know of where I could find a guide or directions? Or, is this a project most people should leave to the professionals??

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Default RE: E320 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Of all the do-it-yourself type repairs, wheel bearings are fairly easy. But with that said, you have to understand bearings, how to clean them, pack them with new grease and load them properly. I'm about to do mine, so I can't say what is in there exactly, but if they're not tapered roller bearings, then they're roller bearings that are torque loaded specific to some rear ends I've done in the past (240Z & Jag comes to mind). Your best bet is to get a manual.....I found that Bently makes one and have ordered it. I can't speak for how user friendly it is until I look through it.

If you can wait until I get the Bently manual and/or do my own, I can report back to you-but maybe the 300E is different that my 300TE 4matic.

Kevin

Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM

very simple but you will need a hydraulic press to press the bearing in and out of the yoke, get the type that already has it all assembled for you much easier that way

Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM

The jack-offs that I used to replace my front wheel bearing put it in wrong and it failed in less than 300 miles. If you are unsure of doing it yourself... do 2 things. 1. Use a trustyworthy and reputable MB independent mechanic. 2. Avoid scumbags who claim they can fix anything but actually have no clue as to what they are doing.

Good luck! I'm not bitter... I swear!!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: amhjab

very simple but you will need a hydraulic press to press the bearing in and out of the yoke, get the type that already has it all assembled for you much easier that way
Yeah, it's nice to have a press, but you can make-shift one from a hydraulic jack, something really solid like barn posts or a doorway and the appropriate size plastic pipe to cut pieces from. Taking them out they can be thrashed, going back in requires the press or make-shift press. I never had a press on the farm and always found a way to press races and bearing in place without harm and I maintained huge equipment.

Kevin