Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Default Check Engine Light

So I bought this car a with 600 miles on it , it had sat undriven for years . I had them check all the fluids and for any aged belts , ect ..
She's was a dream.
I was told I didn't really need to fully tune these great cars till about 60k miles b/c sometimes after which problems ensue .. I'm starting to believe this ! She was fine till I took her in !!

So at 35K she just had her first thorough tune up ... On the way home from the garage the engine light came on . I took her back to mechanic said don't worry, .. he did something and the light went off.
Its been about a month now and she's "driving" different and the engine light has came back on ! Could this just be "loose wire" as I know my SRS light goes on and off .
Also the AC has been going out after a few minutes of cool air she gets warm ! Any connection, any ideas ?? Cost ? Thanks !

Old 07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light

Oh ! Its a 320E 1995 Convertible by the way !!! Any help I appreciate in the above posting !! Thank You !

Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hi planetobagirl,

Cars in general suffer when they sit for a long time, even for as little as three months, and the longer the worse. Logically, you would think that no wear would occur, but some annoying things happen that you should be aware of.

Rodents love to chew Mercedes wires for some reason. I know it has happened to me, and I keep hearing others with the same problem. The tires can get a permanent flat spot, when they have been parked in the same position for too long. Often the brakes will rust; the rust wears off when you use the brakes, but sometimes metal dust will stick to the sensor and cause alarms; usually just needs cleaning. The worst thing that can happen is if water settles in the fuel tank or lines, and rusts or clogs an FI part. Nothing major, but justannoying. Some tinkering will be necessary, but it will clear up. I stored my 300CE for a year, and had the same problems with only 3k mles. It would be a good idea to have all the fluids changed out, including the brake fluid.

Blue

Old 07-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Like bluesilver said they hate to sit,fuel goes bad, clean the injectors,and if it was a late 95 model it might have modern OBD 2 diagnostics,clean the engine with cleaner,look for frayed wires,torn spark plug boots and wires,and clean the injectors with techron injector cleaner.Look under the driver seat dash just above where your left knee would be sitting in the drivers seat ,is there a little black plastic flap that if you tip down has a pin cooection that looks like a computer plug,if there is ,a pep boys or auto zone will read that code for free,post it here before you have them clear it.If you have the old obd that's under the hood check with autozone they may have the tester for that also,if none of this works go to a different indie shopto get the code read,don't get shined on by some mechanic that tosses off the old "oh it's nothing",you know it's something you are driving it !
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Driving down from north of seattle to disneyland next week,how's the weather look?

Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 AM

Hi,

If your CEL is ON then a code has been set in the engine management system advising of an issue which threatens emmissions compliance.

Its true. Cars don't like being stored.

Get this code(s) RECORDED and RESET/CLEAR the OBD computer. Can be done in 2 minutes for info so should not be expensive. Apparently Autozone do this for free!

The code will give an indication of what is going on. Provide us with the code and we will advise what is likely wrong.

Until the cause is addressed the CEL may come on again since the code is likely to be set once again.

Stuart.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Check this out http://www.troublecodes.net/MB/and reset and read your own codes

95 E320 wagon

Old 07-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

Sailing131,noted,however her car is a 1995 e320 cabrio, if its a later year car in 95 it might be using obd2,diagnostics.That why We were checking if she had the model with the obd2 plug in the drivers side dash.
Man those old models with obd version one were weird weren't they?
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Hang onto that list,in case someone needs it,which will be soon....
maybe she does have the system you have and jump in and help out if your car has the old style obd and you've done a reading and reset.
Is yours the old style diagnostics?That list is for the 300 series .did it work on your neat little 95 wagon?I only say little because a neighbor has a white 95 wagon and when I park my white 99 next to his is the only time I realize how much they changed.