Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought CPO , but previous owner smoked in car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Default Bought CPO , but previous owner smoked in car

I purchased a CPO E500 about 2-3 weeks ago. When I test drove the car it had a faint cigarette odor, however, the salesman that went with me smoked, he said the smell was probably from him, because the car was smoke free. It was important that I get a car that had not been smoked in.
Well... now forward in time & several other people who get in the car after it is all closed up agree that the car seems as if it has been smoked in.

What do I do? I made it clear that I wanted a smoke - free car?
When they certify a car is one of the points they inspect smell & ciarette smoke?

Thank you for your help-------Christine

Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Bought CPO , but previous owner smoked in car

Tough situation to "fix". IMO, the smoke damage is somewhat permanent. You may want to try renting an ozone generator for a weekend and using it. It will nearly eliminate lingering odors.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM

To my amazement the I called the dealer & they will try to get the odor out of the car. If they can not do it to my satisfaction, they will allow me to replace the vehicle. This is amazing!! I have never had such service! This car I have owned for 3 1/2 weeks, & they are willing to trade it out. WOW

I don't think they have an equal car to trade it out with though. They said my car is rare because it has everything on it. Just so you know it is an 2005 E500 with all of the extras pkgs available for that year- 36000mi.

They have an 2005 S320 or S450 (it is the 6 cylinder one) with 19000mi is this equal?

As you can tell I don't know much about mercedes, so any help would be useful.

Thank you-Christine

Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned

e320 or s430 you mean,correct?and both with fewer miles are between 3 to 7 thousand dollars cheaper then the E500 which has a current value of about 36 grand,the s430 about 33 tops the E320 about 29tho.
let them try to get the smoke out they can do wonders
cpo standards,nothing about smoke but since you requested a non smoker car they will make good,let them clean it up and give you a couple tho as a rebate.It is cheaper for them to give you money back then to have to re paper it and market it again.
ohlord
http://www.mbusa.com/pre-owned/about/certification.do

Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 AM

Thank you for the replies-

I am leaning towards keeping my vehicle because the car is awesome & they really do not seem to have another car with all of the extras that mine has.

I was so impressed with how they dealt with the situation-I only hope they can make good with the odor problem.

------------Christine

Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 AM

If they cant get the smell out, buy a can of firgi-fresh. it is a cleaner that you spray into your vents with your AC on full blast and it kills odor and bacteria from smoker cars. I am a dealer and use it on all of my cars that seem to have been smoked in. Most of the time, you cant tell they were ever smoker cars after a couple uses of it!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Chris, there are good points. I hope they change all the cabin filters.

Important question: Do you really want to move from an E Class to an S Class car?...even if it was a fair $wap for you?