Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

atumatic transsmission dipstick???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 AM
Question atumatic transsmission dipstick???

how to make dipstick for automatic transsmission to check fluid level.....least expensive way?
dealer cost $100 for the tool.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM

First, if there are no leaks and the transmission is shifting smoothly, there is little reason to check the level. The dipstick tool is used to set the final level after servicing the transmission.

It is not really a dipstick in the sense of the oil dipstick which is left in place. It is a 'dipstick tool' for measuring the transmission fluid level in 722.5 five speed transmission.

You can get one for less at an online site which sells MB OEM parts.

I purchased mine from autohausaz (Autohausaz Part No. J2024-110887, MB Part No. 140 989 15 21 00) for about $46 but that was in early 08 so price may be higher. Other places may have copies for less and I've heard of those who, using a scaled image of the tip, have made their own. Personally, I'd hate to make one which came apart while in the transmission.

Just a note. The car's transmission MUST be at full operating temperature (80C) when it is checked. Failure to do so can result in overfilling and transmission damage. When the engine coolant is at 80C (gauge), the transmission may not be. Drive the car for at least 30 min. before checking. The correct level when all the conditions are met (car parked on level ground, engine running) is at the 'max' band at the top of the scale. The lines below it are to tell you how much is needed if the level is low. There are only two MB approved AT fluids for this transmission. Part No. A001 989 21 03 10 is the original 5 speed fluid. The 7 speed fluid Part No. A001 989 45 03 13 can also be used. Finally, if you overfill you must remove fluid or risk transmission damage.

Finally, there is a tamper resistant plastic 'lock' on the cap on the transmission dipstick tube. It must be broken off to gain access. It is a good idea to replace it when done. Available from same places as dipstick tool. Cheap.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
The fluid also needs to be changed every 30k miles. Filled for "life" means the warranty, not the the car.
Not trying to start an argument since you are entirely entitled to your opinion. To the best of my knowledge MB has never issued a TSB rescinding the Filled for Life policy on these early W210 / 722.6xx transmissions. After contacting MB service managers in my area, I have come to the conclusion that many misinterpret what MB meant. The Filled for Life means that if the transmission fails the cause will not likely be the fluid. But the length of a CPO warranty (100K) is probably a pretty good estimate.

Synthetic lubricants are capable of far greater service cycles than ordinary crude oil based ones. And of course the conditions in the transmission are much less severe than in the engine. More akin to the differential in terms of service conditions. Finally, lubricants only REDUCE friction and hence wear. They don't prevent it. So your transmission is going to wear out no matter how frequently you change the lubricant. I believe the longevity is much more closely related to how much stress you put on the transmission (ie how hard you drive the car).

IMO, 30K is much too frequently but assuming you use the correct fluid it can't do much harm except to your wallet. Just an anecdotal comment but I changed my fluid and filter at 121K (original black lock pin in place). There was only the slightest bit of grit in the bottom of the pan which is considered normal. Of course, 'YMMV'.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Thumbs up atf fluid change

Ok I see i lot of help here and I would like to tank you all.I did change fluid not because of the fact "life time " just because it is my routine.
1 got about 9lit from dealer about $10 per liter
2 got new filter
3 got round magnet to put in oil pan
4 new gasket for oil pan
5 lawn mower trottle cable(this is so great i dio like this invention)

oil was very brown and did not have any problems before but i decided to change oil anyway.
oil pan must be cleaned 100% and put on the very bottom small magnet for metal particales just in case,watch to not interfire with oil filter which means do not put under it.

part 1 was done ....

part 2 next

Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Thumbs up atf part 2

after everything changed on the way it must be done I did next thing

dipstick design.Trottle cable from lawn mower take wire in the middle and pull out than mark bottom with nail polish (my wife give me hard time using hers Channel polish ha ha ha ) mark min and max.
the way i did I went to dealer and compare to original dipstic what they selling for $100 .
Added fluid and start driving.
After 20 min. of driving transmission just shuts down it was like you shif in neutral car just stop.pull over and waited for 10 min.Started and again was ok.Went to friend of mine and ask what did I do wrong?
Answer was "WHEN YOU REPLACING ATF FLUID YOU ARE ONLY REPLACING CLOSE TO HALF OF FLUID THE REST OF IT IS STILL IN TRANNY SO YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFULL WHEN YOU ADDING NEW FLUID".i DID PUT LESS 1/2 LITER THAN IT SHOULD BE AND HE TOLD ME THAT MB HAS THAT FEATURE TO SHUTS DOWN TRANSSMISSION IF IT LOW LEVEL OF FLUID IN ORDER TO PREVENT DAMAGE.
SO i HAVE ADDED 1/2 LIT. MORE AND CHECK WITH NEW CUSTOM MADE DIPSTIC AT 80 DEG. AFTER 40 MIN DRIVING AROUND.IT WAS PERFECT,AND STILL FEELS GOOD.

YES fluid must be changed if you like to enjuy your benz for long time.

soon will post pictures of custom made dipstick cost $6.50 at hardware/garden store.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Question quick question

when we are about fliuds....... why MB did not have any magnet in oil pan ,every other car has that .?

and other thing is Mobile one 0W40 syntetic good choice for engine oil?

it is hard to beleive that next service will be after 14000 km when I reset dasboard reminder clock.