Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASR ABS light ON

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Default ASR ABS light ON

so i got my electrical problem fixed today i hadda pay 103 bucks for a fuse!! i felt so angry i checked all the fuses and they were fine but magically the shop fixed it........i know my suspension is gone since i got the car......but today for the first time ever my ASR Light and ABS came on and are infact staying on the system display.......wat usually triggers these lights to come on........do i need new brakes? or what......well can anyone tell me wat parts i need to replace my suspension i want to upgrade to a sport suspension and i need help with the ASR and ABS lights....please help me i am a college freshman i bought this car a yr ago its my first car i truly love it but its been a nightmare since i got it and i just wanna bring it back to its original beauty.....

Old 04-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Default RE: ASR ABS light ON

btw since i forgot to mention its a 1996 e320 silver.......

Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 AM

The problem could possibly be with your brake light switch. The swith is located under your dash above the brake pedal. The switch is inexpensive and you can replace it yourself. I had the same problem with my 2001 E320.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:14 AM

but wat will replacing that switch do for me..............cud those lights have came on because my suspension being so wore down? and if so wat do i hafta do to fix this........as i sed b4 i want to upgrade to sport suspension so wat parts will i be needing pls be specific because i will buy all the parts myself and take it to my mechanic since i know someone that works in parts .....another side problem not too important.........i just got my keyless entry working for the FIRST TIME.......so it felt a little strange im used to having lights flash once u lock the car and unlock the car but with my E no lights flass outside just the red light and green light under the mirror is this usual? i do not know because wen i got the car i didnt have the keyless entry working

Old 04-26-2006, 01:45 AM

A faulty brake light switch can create electrical problems that cause the ASR and ABS light to come on. Again, I had the same problem and solved it by replacing the brake light switch. You can replace the switch for less than $20. You should, however, still inspect your brakes.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:58 AM

The advice given by BenzoDJ is good.

However you describe what is probably more than one problem.
The problems are most likely to do with the electronics rather than something mechanical having worn out or broken. However you are dealing with BRAKES and it is important that somebody who knows about these systems checks the car out to make sure that everything mechanical is OK. Pads, rotors, hydraulic lines etc.

The electronics include self diagnostics and the warning lights will come ON if the system determines that something in the electonics is not working correctly. If the system senses a problem it will make the control system inoperative. i.e. the brakes will work but not in ABS control mode.

When you first turn on the ignition the Operation (triangle) and Malfunction (ASR/ABS) light should come on to check that the warning light bulbs are working. The ASR or ABS lights should go off after a short period of time. If they don't then this signals that one of the diagnostics tests have failed.

If the light goes off correctly at startup the next possibility is that they come on whilst you are driving.

If the ASR operation triangle light comes on for a short period or flashes whilst driving this shows that the system is working correctluy. i.e. The ASR is operating the throttle and brakes to stop a wheel spinning. If however the ASR malfunction light (ASR) comes on and stays on it is showing that there is an operating problem with the system.

Read your handbook to understand location and purpose of these lights if you are unsure.

If there is a problem with the ASR it will also turn off the ABS for safety reasons.

These systems are complex and interlinked with many other systems like the speedo, cruise, engine management.

With respect to your other problem the Keyless entry (remote operation of doors) is linked with the ATA security system and DAS Driver Authorisation system in a similar manner.

I would suggest you take the car to a dealer with the equipment required to scan these systems and as appropriate reset the electronic systems. This will enable them to state what is the PROBABLE cause of the problem and to also advise a price for fixing which will be dependent upon the scan test. This test will cost and you should get a piece of paper with the test results to confirm that the test has been done. The test is unlikely to fix the problem however. It is purely a diagnostic tool.

The brake light switch is a good starting point (do the rear lights work correctly) but things get very complex and can be very expensive beyond this. However sometimes a very simple and low cost fix (undo and reattach system electrical connectors) can do the trick.

Need to know what the system thinks is wrong before offering further advice.

Stuart.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 AM

can someone help me with my suspension its completly gone since i bougth car and the cars performance is slacking......i want to upgrade to a sport suspension i have a 96 w210 e320.....can someone tell me the exact parts i need specifically i want to rebuild it asap......also can some give me a diagram for my passenger side door....my window will not go up and down but i hear the motor working id like to get this fixed as well

Old 05-10-2006, 05:40 AM

sooo many problems for a 96...For your window problem, your window regulator motor is probably bad-you can either replace the entire regulator or just the motor itself http://mb.braingears.com/W210/w210/Default.htm. As for your sport suspension-you have to choose a company such as H&R, Koni, B+G, Eibach etc. then go from there.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

o i got my electrical problem fixed today i hadda pay 103 bucks for a fuse!! i felt so angry i checked all the fuses and they were fine but magically the shop fixed it.
lugnut advise you already about that fuse.

you should have spent that $100 on lobster dinner.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 AM

wat wud be the best outta the ones u sed wat company are the AMG ones?

Quick Reply: ASR ABS light ON