Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody replace their computer before?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Default Anybody replace their computer before?

I thinkthe computer in my caris messed up and is causing my CEL to stay on. Has anybody ever replaced theirs and how much does it cost? I have a 02' E320. Any advice will help.Thanx.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Default RE: Anybody replace their computer before?

Hi,
Why do you think you need to change the computer!! The computer is trying to help by putting the CEL on rather than indicate that it is messed up.

Get the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) read (free at some garages in the USA) and post the results here.
DTC's are set when a fault occurs.
If the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminates it means that emissions compliance is threatened and the DTC will identify exactly what code (and the prevailing conditions) caused the light to illuminate,
The DTC is then used to determine what is wrong which in turn leads to what corrective action is required.
Likely you have a misfire which could be a simple as you haven't replaced the gas cap securely...
However it could be more difficult / serious but the DTC's are the key to moving forward.
The need for a replacement Mass Air Flow meter MAF is high on the list of suspects even without looking at the DTC's but don't waste money until you have the codes AND also request the prevailing condition (flash memory) data.

Stuart