Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS ESP BAS Malfunction fix

Old 05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Default ABS ESP BAS Malfunction fix

BAS ESP ABS Malfunctions

I was successful (Haven't had the problem in about two weeks) in eliminating the problem by doing the following: The purpose of the procedure below is to adjust the brake pads resulting in them becoming closer to the disks, thus making the brakes contact with less brake pedal travel.

1. Start the car.
2. Step hard on the foot brake and hold it.
3. Step hard on the parking brake and hold it.
4. Release foot brake slowly.
5. Step hard on foot brake and release it slowly.
6. Step hard on foot brake and release it fast.
7. Step hard on foot brake and release it fast.
8. Release parking brake.
9. Turn off ignition.
10. Restart car and drive.

If the 3 malfunctions reoccur, repeat the above 10 steps two more times.
My malfunctions disappeared after two tries of the above. Have not had the problem since.

Let me know if this works for you. I cannot be sure that my problem will not recur but it works for now. [/align][/align]

UPDATE: July 15, 2007 I have been driving the car for over two months since performing the above procedure and the malfunction lights have not reappeared. I will update this post if the lights reappear. Would like someone to report that they have performed the procedure and that it did or did not work for them.

UPDATE: December 1, 2007 OOPS! I was wrong about the above. You have to replace your brake light switch. Perhaps I concluded the above was working because the switch function improved by my hitting the brakes repeatedly.

I will add a couple of notes after replacing mine.

To further convince yourself that the brake light switch is causing your ABS ESP BAS malfunction, back up to your garage door or other wall so you can see the reflection of your brake lights while seated in the driver's seatand, with the engine running and the ABS BAS ESP lights not on, hit the brakes slowly several times. You will find that the times that the ABS BAS ESP lights appear, your brake lights did not come on.

trivett[/align]

Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Default RE: ABS ESP BAS Malfunction fix

or you can replace the $20 stoplamp switch

Old 06-01-2007, 12:35 AM

Hi Trivett,

This is your second post on this subject and we have exchanged e-mail and I have posted some information fot this problem.

You have a faulty stoplight switch my friend. It is a matter of time until you get the fault lights again.

Please stop posting woo du type diagnostic procedures and results.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM

You have been playing with brake switch that is going bad by losing to makesolid contact. No way to repair this one but to replace it. An exception will be if you had brake dust causing that, in which case you need to clean brake caliper area with water hose.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

I agree Raylee177, Sometimes dust or metal filings from brake wear can accumulate on the magnetic ABS wheel sensors, and cause the fault. The metal filings accumulate until the magnetic sensor looks like a fuzzy ball of metal filings, and will give false readings to the ABS module. The module thinks the wheel isn't spinning while you are driving. Wipe them clean or spray them as Raylee177 suggested. Also check for the souce/cause of the metal filings. Is there plendy of brake pad remaining? Are the rotors worn or below spec? Are the rotors rubbing the inside of the caliper? Is the dust-plate rubbing the rotor?

Blue

Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 PM

The BAS ESP ABSalert came on. My dash lit up light a christmas tree (freaked me out!). Brake Lights wouldn't go off (I'm sure it was driving tailgaters crazy!!!). Error went away after re-start and then re-appeared. I Googled the error and came across this very helpful site: http://www.bimmerzone.com/brakelight.htm. I couldn’t havereplaced the switchwithout their step-by-step approach. After reading the bullet points, I decided… I can do this! So I went in to operate. Three (3) hours later... all is GOOOOD!I'm very happy I saved a minimum of $300 or maximum of $1,500had the Dealer went in to operate. The "Stop Lamp Switch" Part No. 001-545-64-09cost $20. Enjoying the satisfaction of NOT having theDealer do the job.... priceless!This made my holiday weekend!

[IMG]local://upfiles/28913/502BDCABC0DB466E9436587783D5BF44.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Banned

Why go to the bmw site
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...lly-fixed.html
cheers
also lots of members on benzworld.org w210 section and mbworld.org w210 section if you need more diy or help also mercedesshop.com
ohlord

Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 AM

Will the same prcedure work on a 2000 C280 (W202)? I have the same problems except it is a the BAS ESP light that shows up.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

Usually if it is the brake switch the abs going off sets the others to warning light also if you only have the two try rinsing out all the brakes with a good brake cleaner spray the heck out of the rotors and pads with a tube attached to the can.Or go to a car wash coin type and spray the brakes down with the power wand,let dry and go for a slow ride to dry them off.Sometimes brale dust and such can affect the sensors.
you can go to mbworld.org w202
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
and see if anyone has posted a problem like yours.
good luck
ohlord

Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 AM

I fixed my ABS/ETS error (97 E300D 109k) and another weird problem with the radio turning itself off and back on at idle, by checking the negative battery cable connection to the body. The connector was pitted and nasty and the nut didn't tighten down fully on the post. Don't be fooled by the battery terminals being clean, check the connection to the body under the seat in therear footwell. I cleaned everything up with sandpaper and a file and added washers so the nut could tighten down. I double checked the voltage output on theclimate control voltage monitor (hold REST until it appears and thenn arrow to code 24) and it stays rock steady between 13 and 13.5. Before it would fluctuate around wildly between 11 and 13.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS ESP BAS Malfunction fix