Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 E320 interior lights and heating fan problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Default RE: 96 E320 interior lights and heating fan problems.

Hello,
I have a 97E300D. Like all of us who have the early year models of the w210, the blower regulator will fail. It fails on some low speed.
I followed that link for the DIY like probably hundreds of people. I got my part from Autohaus in Phoenix. Soldered the wires, did some heat srink. Took it to my car, and job finished in 10min. I verified it stepped thru all speeds before bolting it back in.
IT was a very easy fix, and I couldn't live without it here in Phoenix.
If you up rev your regulator at MB, they will hose you , because they will sell you the fan motor> it sells as a unit.
Bill

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Default RE: 96 E320 interior lights and heating fan problems.

Boy, I'm hearing a lot of the same stories from some of the other members as well , as far as the fan regulator problem. Almost dead certain now, that that is the problem. In temperatures of 0 degrees, or close heat is a nice option, and the trickle of heat from the vents is a non starter. We have been running 15 degree mornings here lately. It is near impossible to get the car up to habitable temps.
I understand getting hosed by MB for parts, and thus far have been fortunate to not have been hosed. Since pricing suspension parts(control arms ball joints etc.) for the first repair job I had done, I was almost heartbroken that I had bought the car, until searching out aftermarket companies. On the parts front I saved over 75% compared to MB. If I had to pay dealers costs I would simply sell the car, and own a Ford or Chevy where parts are somewhat more reasonable, and aftermarket stuff is more available.
Aftermarket is the ticket when repairing these older rides.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone with hints on the interior lighting issue?

Aardvark

Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Default Fan fixed

It was the regulator and I bought the part out of autohausaz.com
A KAE part. Cost $170.
Now it will blow your hat off.

I must say though, I cant understand why Benz used a french electrical part with a small heat sink. Come on MB. That was dumb.
When you actually see the part you will be amazed that the part costs what it does. I mean really, it's nothing more than a variable resistor of sorts, that if someone knew the resistances would be able to sell this part at a huge profit at about $25 bucks (harness not included).
It then amazes me when I read stories of $800+ repair bills.

Go figure.
Happy the fan works, but miffed at the stupidity, cost and downtime .
Aardvark

Old 01-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Oh, and can somebody please chime in on the interior lighting issue?

Even if you tell me it is a pita problem that cant be easily diagnosed, I would appreciate some feedback on it. Hopefully it is some simple part somewhere, that is staring me in the face.

Aardvark.