Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 190E, 2.6L...sputtering and idle is off

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Default 92 190E, 2.6L...sputtering and idle is off

On my way home Thursday evening, on the freeway in stop N go traffic, I noticed that on light acceleration the car started to sputter, very lightly. When I come to a stop, the idle is off. So the first thing I did was change the cap and rotor, they didnt look too bad, but figured it has been a few years, so I changed it. The car still had the same symptoms, so next I changed the plugs, still the same issue. Put in some fresh gas and ran some seafoam in it. The same thing, so at this point I took it to a MB repair shop, started the car up on Friday morning and noticed that the symptoms were hardly noticable, so I pondered about taking it to the shop, then I drove a few miles and after the car warmed up the same stuff was happening......they call me a couple hours later and tell me a few things:

First, they replaced some cracked vaccum hoses, and he said that the vaccum hose that goes from the tranny to the crank case was disonnected, and also the fuse that controls the Lambda system was bad so they replaced it (is there such a thing?)........so that was Friday night, he said the car would be ready by tomorrow afternoon.........

When I picked up the car the next day, he told me they removed the fuel distributer and cleaned it out, and that a bunch of rusty liquid came out.....

So I pay and leave the shop and a few blocks away, the car starts doing the same thing!!!!!!

I take it back and sure enough its doing the same exact thing... At this time he tells me the fuel distributer may be going out.

SO, how do you know for a fact that the f.d. is going out? On the highway, at normal driving, the car is fine.

Any help would be great

Last edited by bakerboy90660; 04-26-2010 at 01:36 PM.