Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 300E - no power to radio after speedo replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Default '86 300E - no power to radio after speedo replaced

I have removed my instrument cluster many times over the past few years with no issues to replace bulbs and the outside temp LCD. This time however after having it out, the radio does not have power except when one of the front doors is open. I replaced only the speedometer in the cluster as my odometer and trip-o-meter had stopped working some time ago. I replaced it with a used part from a working instrument cluster from an 89 300E. The speedometer, odometer, and trip-o-meter are working fine.

This is an after market Kenwood radio that has worked for 4 yrs since installed new then. When I open the door to get in the car the radio lights up and shows "OFF" on the display. I can then push the on/off button and turn it on. All the presets are gone and clock time is back to 12:00. The radio works fine. When I close the door, the radio loses power. I have checked the plunger type switches in the door opening and the lower switch when pushed in like when the door is closed, cause the radio to lose power. I pulled the switch out and unplugged one of the connections to the back of the switch and the radio loses power. The other front doors causes the same problem, but i have not checked that switch.

I have also noticed now that the front dome light does not come on when I open the door to get in the car and it is not yet runniing. The courtesy lights under both the front doors do come on. The lights in the front overhead light do work when switched to come on manually and the light does light up when I open the door and the car is running.

Any ideas? This one had got me stumped. I presume I have something shorting out somewhere or there is an issue with the '89 speedometer although all the wiring and connections are the same except for the speedo cable and the two CC cables are plugged into the new speedo, Idid not replace the other two guages.