Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 E320 CDI Electric/EIS issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 09:35 AM
Default 2005 E320 CDI Electric/EIS issues?

Hi all. I hope this is the right place for this. I've been having some weird issues with my car since moving cross country-

First it started with water leaking into the trunk and affecting the electrical in there. I noticed this as the instrument cluster went dead (and then suddenly came back on the day I took it to the shop, but it was freezing so I guess the water was frozen around the battery?) I guess it was in an accident before I bought it and the prior folks did a bad seal. Rain water got in. I was told the aux battery needed to be replaced (and the main battery in the trunk was oddly fine. Weird). I had this fixed for a tidy sum. This was never an issue in California, but I guess we just don't have as much rain there.. I dunno.

Then a week later my car wouldn't turn. It seemed to be a FOB issue so I got a replacement FOB and it still wouldn't turn. I checked the EIS fuse and it was fine. Power was fine -- car would unlock and main console had power when I opened the doors. The car was running fine while I had it. Never jumped the battery or messed with anything. I then had the car towed to my mechanic and they had it for two days and they couldn't determine the problem yet. They ALSO told me the power was completely dead in the car. When I left it to be towed the half mile to the shop it was powered. The tow truck driver also told me it was totally dead when he got to it (forty minutes after I left it), but he could be lying to cover his butt.

So essentially, I don't know what they've checked or not. I told them a few times I think it's the EIS, but things are totally changed now if the power is totally dead in it. I mean, I figured the issue was the EIS when it was powered, but now that it's not it could be anything. I just feel like this is all really odd -- especially for it to lose power when essentially not being used, and it had a fine battery and a brand new aux. battery. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I really love this car, but I just feel like a lot of weirdness is happening.

Thanks!