Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 E-320 Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Default 2005 E-320 Speedometer

Well, I admit, I screwed this one up myself. Front wheel bearings were howling on my wifes new used 05 320 and like any DIY, took a look and bearings came out just like domestic rear wheel drive. I checked into the SBC braking stuff and deactivated by locking doors. put new wheel bearings back in, aftermarket Bearing 32008's... however, in haste i screwed up the wheel grease seals and tried to reinstall just to check the car out, bad idea... ordered new wheel seals from MB, installed today. Now car will not read any speed on the speedometer, which I think is throwing the computer into shut down, will not let car out of first gear with ABS and ESP light flashing on dash. I tried to resync the ESP by turning full left and full right, but no luck.. Im guessing the wheel seals are used as speed sensors because a sensor is placed in the dust cover to read the seals. It ran ealier today with speedometer and ABS and ESP malfuntion, but now no speedometer and no forward motion. no messages showing on the computer. Any suggestions besides taking to MB dealer to get gigged, we have local shop that works on MB units.. Maybe purchase complete wheel bearing hubs and try again???? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Default speedometer

OK, found most of my mistake, went back in and removed both hubs, I applied to much grease to the spindles and grease pushed into the speed sensor area on knuckle. problem resolved, I cleaned area with que tips and alcohol, no grease, cleaned wheel seals (tone rings).. put back together and I now have the speedometer working. BUT the abs and esp still will not let car out of second gear any ideas. I have disconnected the batter and synced esp by turning wheel to full left and full right, but nothing, getting no messages on the dash. just flashing of the ESP light.