Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 E320 Engine tapping

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Default RE: 1999 E320 Engine tapping

Stu,
There you go again... stirring the pot and poking folks in the eye. Your synopsis on cars of the future is spot-on. Every angle shows a bad side and I agree with you that there is no easy solution. What you failed to mention is the fact that one of the greatest hurdles facing America and the energy situation makes us unique from the U.K. Space, size and distance make common means of transportation in all but the larger cities completely unfeasible. The U.K. is smaller than Texas and is more densly populated, so mass transit works wonders in that environment. If one goes outside of a city like Atlanta, anything off of the major interstates would make trains or automated city cars a bad idea. Since the 60s there have been billions of dollars spent on failed mass transit programs. The ones that have worked are all in the major cities. When the tech trickles down in the near future, medium sized cities will share in these efficient wonders of mass transit. Progress takes time. Just look at how far technology in automobiles has come in the past 20 years. Amazing stuff.

Am I a True Blood American who holds large engine, high polluting and auto ownership as a fundamental right? Nope. I have a highly efficient E320 and a tiny Honda CR-V. In the summer I drive my motorcycle to work to save on gas and to smell the flowers. There are indeed folks out there who love trucks and V8s. Some of them actually tow things or use them for work. This summer's gas spike caused many of those died-in-the-wool V8 truck owners to think twice about why they "needed" a truck. The market tanked on pick-ups just as badly as it did on SUVs. Over 10 SUV and Truck plants have been closed and the market is still flooded. The migration from V8 to V6 and from V6 to I4 has happened. It will continue in my opinion because we have not had a scare like this for quite some time. America is changing and the world is changing. Be cautious of stereotypes. Generally they are not true.

I trust that you are not from the Gin and Jag set. Your direct engagement shows that you probably had to work to get where you are today. That is to be commended. I served with many of your fellow countrymen in and under the Persian Gulf. They are a great lot who love their country as much as I love mine. I'm still jealous of your Navy's policy on alcohol on-board ships. Be safe thisNew Year's![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Default RE: 1999 E320 Engine tapping

Quote: "Be cautious of stereotypes. Generally they are not true."

Agreed. Maybe I was placing y'all (I think that's how you say it in some places over there) in the same basket.

I tried to paint a picture of LOTS of little city cars publicly owned and computer controlled in the cities rather than just buses, coaches.
A scene a bit more like automated taxis. Its the only solution that gives the flexibility that everybody DEMANDS.
Your BIG COUNTRY may in fact be better positioned for this answer since you have plenty of space to put infrastructure into place more easily than we can,.

But the debate will continue. I don't know how this will actually pan out any more than many other people but America is about to change tio a much more European approach. The journey has started but you haven't left your own neighbourhood yet,....

Enjoy 2009. Its going to be a tough year!

Incidentally I'm certainly not the "Gin and Jag" type although I did work for Jag / LandRover in its various guises for 30+ years.

Stuart