Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 E 320 Transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Red face tranny fluid

I just did mine last weekend on my 2000 E320 with 101k miles on it. The fluid is so dark. There is a very very small amount of brass shavings. I think it was never replaced & there is no magnet. I just did a pan drop, gasket & filter. I am glad I did. I don't have the TC plug so I'll just do it again in 30k. Only drain 3.5 liters, so that is what I put back. Check the level after a long drive and it is o.k.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by srb1194
I bought this car new. It has about 190 K on it and has always been serviced by MB. I am embarrassed to say but I just realized that they have never changed the transmission fluid. They tell me that the transmission is sealed for life and does not require service. They also say that changing the fluid could start problems. The car shifts perfectly. Should I leave it alone or insist on the service?

Thanks,

srb1194
Is it the same 5 speed auto in a 1998 W140 s-class? If it is, then the S-Class service book says it needs to be changed over time (sorry book is in the car and can't remember interval). I had mine changed during the last service.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Default Good luck

As a factory trained MB technician I would agree with the other dealership. If you have already performed this service than I hope all works out. I would deffiantely contemplate this decision if you have not yet performed the transmission service though. It seems that everyone has a preconcieved notion that transmission oil needs to be changed on a regular basis to prevent breakdown. Not true. MB transmissions are built with extremely tight clearances on their plates. The transmission oil is extremely expensive compared to dometic for a reason. I have dropped pans on many older model Mb's with twice the mileage on the original transmission due to leaking gaskets, not requested services. I have yet to have a comeback because of a blown transmission afterwards, but........you can have this service performed if it will give you better peace of mind. I strongly encourage you not to only because it is truly a waste of money.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:34 AM

I respect your opinion however if it were your car, what would you do? With 190K and probably many more miles ahead for us, would you still advise against it?

Thanks,

srb1194

Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned
Default clarktheheir

What the heck kind of factory trained mechanic would give this info out?
Even Mercedes now recommends fluid change on the 722.6 trans,it is even posted as a tech service bulletin on the 722.6 in the w211(same trans)
The lifetime fluid moniker was a mistake,not changing the fluid and filter properly is an even bigger mistake.
No wonder the dealers are having problems.MB considers a car with 50,000 miles high mileage.Of course they expected lifetime fluid to last that long.We owners that own one or more with miles way above that know that properly changed mb spec fluid, clean and filtered is a must for continued transmission life and shift quality.
What is this job security lingo that the dealers are telling owners of cars equipped with 722.6 transmissions?They would rather replace a transmission worth more than most w210's than change a few hundred bucks of fluid and labor.
Yikes.

Last edited by ohlord; 02-07-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Default What is the suggested interval?

For a 1998 E320 just like the creator of this thread, what is the suggested interval then? I bought the ride with 118K on the clock and had the fluid changed right away. The indie mechanic gave me the same story about no dipstick and sealed for life. He thought it was good to change it every 100K or so. I'm at 177K and am planning on another change at 200K. Any comments?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Default 15 year MB certified master tech speaks...

Just had my tranny serviced. I was leery about the flush so I asked the MB Certified Master Mechanic who has 15 years experience working on MB about the scoop. Here i what he said:

flushing the transmission is a wonderful thing. the older transmissions had problems because the clutch face would come apart and clog the valve bodies during a 'flush'. your trans is a newer electronic version and clutch face is not an issue. he also went on the say that our transmission flushing machine uses the transmission's pump to pump the fluid through; it does not backflush, which was also a problem in the old days.

I just had the fluid/trans filter and rear diff pinion seals serviced. It cost a small penny but if I get 4 more years out of this car... it's worth every dime. I got 31.2 MPG on my trip to DC and back last week. AMAZING gas mileage. Love this car.