Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 E320 Emmission Test NOT READY

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Default 1996 E320 Emmission Test NOT READY

First time posting, I have a 96 E320 , 125K miles. I can not pass NJ inspection due to 3 "Not Ready" OBD2 Readiness tests they perform. The Catalytic Converters, EGR Systems & Secondary Air Injection. I was told by both motor vehicles and the dealer it is from either restting the computer or disconnecting the battery andI will have to drive the car for atleast 200 miles. I did not clear any codes or disconnect the battery, there is NO check engine light or any codes present. I drove the vehicle 1700 plus miles andstill not ready. I went to a NJ Certified Emmision Repair Center, they get same thing.They contacted Motor vehicle for a "BYPASS" inspection but they refused because it passed 2 years ago. PleaseHelp! Chris

Old 09-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Default RE: 1996 E320 Emmission Test NOT READY

Usually you may go to the dealer and ask for a copy of the required drive cycle, for the particular make and model.....usually requiring you to drive like an idiot on the local roads. An example: driving the vehicle for a prescribed amount of miles at 25 mph without touching the brakes, no a/c on etc. Also ask the dealer if any T.S. B. (technical service bulletins) are related to your concern. Sometimes you may find these TSB's online as they are public knowledge.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

I/M status not ready,get the codes read and write them down,some may be stored in the memory,then run this drive cycle,i.e. drive the heck out o it,find a clear road,and watch out for smokey.............
The following “universal” drive cycle can be used as a guide to assist with re-setting monitors when a vehicle specific drive cycle cannot be located. This generic OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another). This condition can be achieved by allowing the vehicle to “sit” overnight, and then by beginning the drive cycle the next day. Most drive cycles will be difficult to follow exactly under normal driving conditions, so the driver should exercise caution, road safety, and courtesy to others.
1. Start the engine. Idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defroster on.
2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle.
3. Hold at a steady speed of 55 mph for three minutes.
4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch.
5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at Âľ throttle.
6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.
7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking.
Repeat,read the codes again.You can get the codes read for free at auto parts stores or aamco transmission just tell them it's a 96.Usually a good hard drive,with a full tank of fuel,as above generic cycle,will get you ready.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
You can also buy an obd 2 reader at harbor freight tools for 39 bucks they are in n.j. call info or go to there web site for a local store,I rec one for every owner of a benz,worth there weight in gold,just knowing what the codes mean.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:56 PM

Thanks, I`ll give it a shot and run thru inspection again on Tuesday.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Run the drive cycle today ,and again early a.m. then go to pepboys or autozone and have them run the i/m readiness test with their code reader to see if you are ready.The emissions place may have a policy about retests and you don't want to have to pay again,so check first and see if you are good to go.
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"

Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM

Well, Drive Cycle No Help. Failed again for same three Not Ready Items. Found a Good MB service tech with MB computers to diagnose problem next Monday. Will let you know the prognoses. Thanks for all the help. Chris

Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by forearms
Well, Drive Cycle No Help. Failed again for same three Not Ready Items. Found a Good MB service tech with MB computers to diagnose problem next Monday. Will let you know the prognoses. Thanks for all the help. Chris
Hi

Did you ever get yours fixed? if so, please share. I'm having the same exact problem.