Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 E320 battery drained dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Default 1995 E320 battery drained dead

Car sat for a month, battery would not charge, installed new battery. Now headlights just flash and car will not start. I need help quick please. Car only has 42,000 miles on it and I am original owner. Cranked just fine last month.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 PM

I just disconnected ground to keep battery from going dead from the flashing, Guys, this is a keyed car, no remote, just old fashion key. Can not find a code box to even try to read an error code. If anyone has any idea, I need help. Car was my wife's but just gave it to our granddaughter as soon as she got insurance, title changed and tag. She did her part and came to claim car. She is crying, because it can not be cranked. I need help please.
Thanks, Jim

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 AM

can you provide detail (as much as possible) how you charged it and how you determined it would not hold a charge?

there are so many shortcuts that people take that it's challenging to guess by your description what was already done and what the next steps are

Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 AM

The car would not crank or even attempt to. I then used a good charger on it, it charged up to 20%, the the charger stopped charging and showed bad. I removed battery and carried it back to the store where purchased. They said I would have to wait for 35 minutes until their charger was through with it. Within 5 minutes their charger kicked off and said bad cell. They replaced it under warranty and I brought the battery back and re-installed. Then when I tightened the last clamp. I glanced at the headlights, they were flashing, I got in car and attempted to start it with the key. NOTHING, I checked the emergency flashers to see if they had been turned on by accident and they had not, I checked then to see if the headlights were turned on, they were in the off position. Not being able to crank it or stop the flashing. I removed the ground connection. Searched Google for a solution and then came here. Sent an email or two to some of the mechanics on the forum hoping one of them would respond. So far, no response. My grand daughter had stopped her crying and apologized for her behavior, but I know she was disappointed. As I was and am.
Thanks for any help you can give me. The car has never given us a minutes problem and has sat more than being driven. ( I know that is bad, but wife has been fighting cancer for several years and I have other things to worry over rather than making sure I crank and drive the car regularly.)
Jim Todd

Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by JatMat
The car would not crank or even attempt to. I then used a good charger on it, it charged up to 20%, the the charger stopped charging and showed bad. I removed battery and carried it back to the store where purchased. They said I would have to wait for 35 minutes until their charger was through with it. Within 5 minutes their charger kicked off and said bad cell. They replaced it under warranty and I brought the battery back and re-installed. Then when I tightened the last clamp. I glanced at the headlights, they were flashing, I got in car and attempted to start it with the key. NOTHING, I checked the emergency flashers to see if they had been turned on by accident and they had not, I checked then to see if the headlights were turned on, they were in the off position. Not being able to crank it or stop the flashing. I removed the ground connection. Searched Google for a solution and then came here. Sent an email or two to some of the mechanics on the forum hoping one of them would respond. So far, no response. My grand daughter had stopped her crying and apologized for her behavior, but I know she was disappointed. As I was and am.
Thanks for any help you can give me. The car has never given us a minutes problem and has sat more than being driven. ( I know that is bad, but wife has been fighting cancer for several years and I have other things to worry over rather than making sure I crank and drive the car regularly.)
Jim Todd
sounds like the alarm is going off..but something is wrong with the siren horn. but try to use the key and lock and unlock the drivers door.this will unarm the alarm, try from the passenger side lock if it has key lock. and try to start it again, sounds like the alarm is triggered and not allowing you to start it.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by chassis221
sounds like the alarm is going off..but something is wrong with the siren horn. but try to use the key and lock and unlock the drivers door.this will unarm the alarm, try from the passenger side lock if it has key lock. and try to start it again, sounds like the alarm is triggered and not allowing you to start it.
Wow!!!! I have called grand daughter to tell her some really helpful Mercedes mechanic gave me the instructions to repair. Car cranks, lights not flashing, but I will have to get the code for the radio, unless I can PM you and get the code with the VIN #. I really do appreciate the answer. May the Lord bless you over and beyond.
Jim Todd
Gadsden, AL

Last edited by JatMat; 04-22-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Just does not get any better than this, one happy grand daughter. Born 1995 and we bought this car before she was born. Her Nana, (my wife) always said it was her car when she was old enough to take care of it.

Thanks for the help chassis221

Jim

Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by JatMat
Just does not get any better than this, one happy grand daughter. Born 1995 and we bought this car before she was born. Her Nana, (my wife) always said it was her car when she was old enough to take care of it.

Thanks for the help chassis221

Jim
Jim, glad I could help you and the granddaughter! good luck with the car!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM

Obtained the code for the radio, and I snuck over to my grand daughters house and used the valet key I had kept and entered the radio code. I then tuned it to a loud noise, (kids call it music) and upped the volume to ear splitting level and turned the car off. Left without telling anyone I had been there, she will be surprised when she cranks the car.
Thanks everyone,
Jim

Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Red face C240 notice for helpful friends.

Just started new thread, anyone watching this one, sure appreciate your opinion on new one.
Thanks,
Jim