Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 E 320, automatic, SW, AC compressor not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Default 1995 E 320, automatic, SW, AC compressor not engaging

My climate control was working just fine yesterday, but today I have no air conditioning. When I set the climate control to warm temperatures I get heat, and when it's on cold temperatures I only get outside air blowing in with no air conditioning. When the vents are set to windshield defrost (the button on the far left) it only blows hot air regardless of the temperature setting of the climate control (is this normal? I hadn't noticed this until now.) I checked the Poly V belt and it's fine; it seems that the A/C compressor just doesn't engage. The fan(s) that usually turn on when the A/C is running don't come on at all.

In my car the moment i turn the air blower switch the AC compressor use to engage. The question is this normal? But now as mentioned above the AC compressor is not engaging. The freuon gas is ok.

Any ideas as to what may have gone wrong? I've search this forum but was unsuccessful in finding info on this problem. I would appreciate any help I can get before I start poking around under the hood tonight.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1995 E 320, automatic, SW, AC compressor not engaging

When the vents are set to windshield defrost (the button on the far left) it only blows hot air regardless of the temperature setting of the climate control (is this normal?
it's normal.

check for the fault code using the pushbutton unit. there might be something stored inside.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:48 PM

I took the car to an AC Mec. He had checked the switch mounted on the AC filter bottle through a tester. It was not getting the current. (On which one can see the gas flow as there is a transparent window). So after that he just pulled a relay as shown in the pic. This relay was behind the battery having around 8 pins or so.(The relay no as shown in the pic is 003-545) While he was pulling the relay I heard the compressor getting engaged for a second. So he just cleaned the legs of the relay and plugged it back to its place.

For the whole day my car AC was working very fine. I asked the tec that what was the defect. He laughed and said even he never knew what was it……………… But thanks God the AC is working till now………

Old 01-09-2006, 03:51 PM

By the way pl guide me a how to find the fault code using the pushbutton unit? (Where is the push button location) I am new to this car and trying my best to know more about it.

Thanking you in advance