Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 300E Transmission problem & other small problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Default 1988 300E Transmission problem & other small problems

Hi all. I'm a new member and have recently become interested in the 300E's and didn't know anything about them (or any MB)until recently. I read some reviews where the owners raved about them, even with high miles. I test drove one today at a local dealer and he is asking $4500.00 which seem a bit high to me. The body is in very nice shape (gray) with a bit of rust under the driver side. It has updated headlights and updated (MB) wheels. Perfect red leather interior. The dealer actually gave it to me to keep all day and night. It is a 1988 with 155 K miles. Unsure of service history, 2 owner car.
The car drove fine for the first 1/2 hour or so with just me and my wife in the car. I didn't drive it hard, but I didn't baby it. Temp outside was around 45 degrees if that matters.
When I picked up two more people (maybe an extra 300 pounds) to see how it would do under load, the tranny would not shift out of what felt like 2nd gear (maybe 3rd??) I believe this happened around 30-40 MPH. It eventually shifted into drive, but continued to get stuck in the lower gear. It didn't help when I shut the car off and turned it back on. It also didn't help if I tried to shift manually.
Again, it appears that the problem surfaced with the extra weight/load in the car.
Other problems found: Slight clunks or rattles from underneath, especially when braking/stopping. Headlights totally shut off when putting high beams on. (only seemed to happen when I put a little extra forward pressure on the lever) Also, if this car has "flash to pass" that didn't work. Also, rear passenger window doesn't go down.
What a great forum this is...I hope to become a MB owner. The one I'm looking at seems like it would be a great car and I can see why everybody has such an enthusiasm for them.
Any advice would be appreciated, especially regarding the transmission problem.
Thanks, Bill

Old 01-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1988 300E Transmission problem & other small problems

welcome to the forum bill.

seems you are buying a car that can give you migraine.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 PM

It is not clear what kind of advice you seek... mechanical or buy/sell decision. If the latter, I assume you already know the right answer. Don't touch it! Mercedes or not, do not ever buy a car with a serious transmission problem. Were you hoping someone here might still encourage you to buy?

Anyway, explain the situation to the dealer. If he wishes to make repairs at his own expense he can call you for another test drive. Chances are he'll do nothing and continue waiting for a sucker.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 AM

The main advice I seek is mechanical at this point. I should have been more concise for my first post. My question is, can a minor problem cause the shifting problem? Something such as a bad vacuum line, clogged transmission filter etc, etc....? I have known the guy for several years who has had his business for 25 years. He only has year 2000 and newer, cars on his lot, Audi's, BMW's, A couple other MB's and for some reason a bunch of Cherokee Chief's. He took this MB on a trade from a friend of his. He told me he is going to fix the problem(s) what ever it takes and at whatever cost, at no increase in price.
In any event, I will not buy the car unless I am as certain as I can be that the tranny is fixed and there are no other major problems. I can do much of my own work if other minor-medium problems crop up. I expect them on a car of that age and miles. I am sure the guy will let me take it for another day or two to test it out, when and if the time comes.
If the problems get fixed, I was going to offer around 3000-3500, sound reasonable?
Thanks for the input,
Bill

Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

the tranny would not shift out of what felt like 2nd gear (maybe 3rd??)
does the engine revs up while doing this or slipping?

does your transmission got B-switch?

the problem could be as simple as unwanted voltage at kickdown solenoid, and improperly adjusted control pressure cable...and could be worst also as valve body. if the command valve inside the valve body doesn't move, then you will get such problem.

proper checking and diagnosis is needed to pinpoint the problem.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:40 AM

look for better deal.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:21 AM

too much money for that one.

had a 300e diesel with the same shift problem. sounds like a vacuum control modulator. about $80 from the dealer as i remember it, and not too hard to replace. dialing it in can be a bitch though.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:31 PM

Well, the shifting problem has been fixed so it runs and shifts great. The small amt. of rust has been repaired and the window is in the process of being fixed. The dealer will also fix the headlight problem and any others I point out to him.
In the past couple days he's changed the dist. cap, spark plugs, tranny filter and fuel filter. I have it to test drive for a few more days, but it runs so good I'll probably take it back for him to finish it up in a day or two. We still have to negotiate a price.
Thanks for the input.
Bill

Old 01-09-2006, 12:21 PM

What was done to correct the shifting anomoly?