Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

190e Air and Heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Default 190e Air and Heating

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=black size=3>Hello All,</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3>I just purchased a 1986 190E a few months ago it is in decent shape. It is my first Mercedes. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. The problem I am having is with the A/C. I just installed a compressor becuase it was noisy and leaking, receiver dryer and expansion valve. The problem I 'm encountering is that I only get cold air (49 degrees) when the heater corehoses are pinched off.What would be the next component to check.Do these cars have blend doors?If so, what is involved to check it out?</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3></FONT></P>

Old 07-21-2003, 06:04 PM

first of all i have a 1987 w124 200 merc so it is a similar car to yours. however my car hasnt got air con so if anything i need to know more about this problem of yours to help you sort it out. i have fully rebuilt the 200 as it had a hard life and was beginning to look its age. i was fitting a cd player not too long ago and an alarm system so i had to remove half of the dash board. i think that when you are talking about pinching off the hoses your problem would be the heater control valve. this in my car anyway is located under the bonnet beside the brake servo the are coolant hoses going to it and it is two small cyinders with bosch stampedd on the top of it. if you can track this down i recoment that you try a breakers yard for one(at around a fiver) and fit it if the system works then buy a new one and fit it. if this is the case then there is built up corroson the the engine and it hasnt got the proper coolant (mb brand only to be used). so change the valve and the coolant and see how it goes. but also behind my dash were adjustment cables which in your case could simply be out of ajustment. good luck with the merc youve made a wise coice but raply anyway and explain the problem further as it could easily be something else

Old 08-11-2003, 04:43 PM

The air distribution is dependent on a double walled tank on the front right side of the engine area. A crack in the inner tank would cause the air distribution to be fouled up. Do you notice the air from the side vents being warmer than the center dash vent? Do the distribution buttons not control the air flow as described in the manual. If not, check the described tank. Sorry I don't know its official name.