Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

190e 2.6 sportline timing chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
AO2
Question 190e 2.6 sportline timing chain tensioner

okay so this will actually just help me put the car back together just so i can get an actual MB mech. to tell me what is really wrong with it =-P but ok so i have a 93 190e 2.6 sportline and i need to know what tool exactly i could use on the threaded ring for the chain tensioner....my haynes book does not mention size...says large allen key or hexagon bit but biggest ones i can find at sears dont even fit

Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Default 190e 2.6 timing chain tensioner removal tool

17mm allen ....I had to go to NAPA to get one as Autozone, Advance Auto, Sears etc didnt have anything that large.

It is available at NAPA in their Metric air impact wrench set for about $55 for the whole set, but they sold me just the 17 mm allen air impact socket for $8.49.

I hope this helps, it took me forever to figure out what tool this was and I finally found out by asking a Mercedes mechanic. All over the internet, everyone said you need a special tool, 12 point or whatever. Well, turns out a 17 mm allen six point works just fine.

I removed that ring today so I can verify that it was the correct size tool.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Default 190e 2.6 timing chain tensioner removal tool

awww man looks like you posted around a week ago but man i am so excited that u did man cuz i actually kind of just gave up on the mb..it has been sitting there for so long i hate looking at it everytime i come home from work lol..

yea i tried sears and the retard guy at the tool dept didnt even know what an allen was, i'm not that bright with cars but i knew what an allen looks like at least haha enough making fun of people but yea my step dad had said the same thing..you need a special tool but i will be sure get that 17mm tommorow after work.

wow you removed it just to check? i had to take the whole radiator off just to try to get to that damn tensioner lol it's in my trunk

will post update after i make a little time to put it back together and maybe some pics along the way but i really appreciate the help..i've posted this so many times it just feels great to know i might have my little 190 running once again =-D

Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM

okay so i havent really had the time to put the radiator and all other things back in the engine but i was able to get that tensioner put back together, you're were right..that 17mm allen fits perfectly...haha i accidently returned the 12mm and ended up finding out the hard way that i needed both 17mm and 12mm to do the tensioner job..one more question hopefully you can also help on. the issue was that the rotor cap was taken off to check hence the car was running funny, when it was put back on along with new rotor the cap snapped in half some how..at the shop..i wasnt there..so should i replace "Crankshaft Position Sensor" and try it out? o yea before i forget i checked the camshaft and it has no room for play..all in one piece