Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100k miles + Check Engine light + running rough + no acceleration - ALL IN ONE DAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007 | 12:05 PM
Default 100k miles + Check Engine light + running rough + no acceleration - ALL IN ONE DAY!!

Well, I would have stopped and clicked my heels together in a joyous leap, but instead I had to stop - but all I could really do is scratch my head...

OK. Maybe it wasnt all that dramatic, but seriously, the same day (about 80 miles later) I rolled over 100k miles on our 99 E320 wagon, the check enginge light came on 38 miles into a 40 mile journey. When the light came on, nothing was noticeably different about the car's up until then flawless ride, but a mile later, after slowing down from 55 mph down to about 30, it started running rough and then decellerating very quickly - with no response at all pushing the gas pedal. I came to a stop light and from there, the car would only limp along at 10-15 mph. I stopped and read the manual, which told me to turn off the ignition and restart, with hopes that the problem would fix itself. It did not. There was a brief sign of life in the engine at restart, but less than 1/8 mile later, I was again unable to accelerate past 10 mph or so. What's going on here?

Seems to me that I either have < 6 cylinders firing, low compression, or a vaccum issue. But I am not certain which. Any ideas??? Please help!

Old 11-27-2007 | 05:41 PM
Banned
Default RE: 100k miles + Check Engine light + running rough + no acceleration - ALL IN ONE DAY!!

Where are you?Did you get home?don't take it to the dealer or shop.Post reply to these questions and we can help solve the problem.
ohlord
looked at your profile
go to
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...te.do?state=SC
pick up the 94169 code obd2 scanner,they will match the online price if you ask them nicely.$40 or abouts.
Read the codes and post them here so we can take a look.
solution to follow once you post the code or codes.
they are probably still open if you hurry!!!

Old 11-28-2007 | 12:46 AM
Default RE: 100k miles + Check Engine light + running rough + no acceleration - ALL IN ONE DAY!!

Easy.

Car has gone into Limp Home.
Limp Home is cancelled with a restart BUT if the fault remains..which is likely what caused the light to come on in the first place...the light will come on again.
Check Engine Light CEL is on because emission level have been compromised.
Engine ECU records codes that caused the CEL to illuminate.
As Ohlord says get codes read (or buy simpler scanner) and post codes on this site and we will try to help.

Most likely cause is a misfire which can be caused by many things and results in Limp Home vs just the CEL illuminated.

Has the car been serviced regularly and is schedule up to date. For instance...when were the plugs changed?

Did you fill up immediately prior to the problem?

Stuart.

Old 11-28-2007 | 01:16 AM
Banned

Stu,car could be in limp mode for non emissions related fault,transmission codes p0715 and the likes will set car into limp mode,limp mode should allow for more then 10 mph,so lets see what code comes up.
ohlord

Old 11-28-2007 | 02:10 AM

Fully agree. just tried to keep it relatively simple.
Stuart

Old 11-28-2007 | 04:51 AM
Banned

I am hoping it is so simple,it is a gas cap code!You also,I am sure.
ohlord

Old 11-30-2007 | 12:17 PM

Thanks guys. The problem I did not foresee prior to posting is that the car was stranded 50 miles away for three days waiting for my AAA Plus membership to kick in (I upgraded at the time of the incident). So I couldnt very easily get a scanner to it. I had to make a decision yesterday - tow to my house or to the MB repair here in Charleston. I chose the latter to be safe. Kinda feel like a quitter, but my thinking was that if it was major, then I wouldnt have the right tools, meaning I'd have to get it towed again.

Anyway, I will ask the repair place for the error code(s) and will then post. My MB guy here is good and fair, so hopefully they wont try to put me in the poorhouse over this. The shop crewman that accepted the vehicle yesterday thinks it should just be a filter issue?? We'll see. Thanks again to all.

Old 11-30-2007 | 01:15 PM
Banned

They will charge you far more then the cost of the scanner just to pull the codes(a 5 minute operation)then they will hit you with the bill(big)
tell them you want the code before they proceed with the repair.If it is a maf code they will charge you between 5-8 hundred dollars for what is a ten minute repair of a 129 buck part.
good luck,post the results.
ohlord

Old 11-30-2007 | 05:28 PM
NAZ

IF WAS SPALATRING ON IDLE SOUNDS MORE LIKE THE CATALISTIC BROKEN AND SACKED IN TO THE ENGINE HOPE NOT,I AM JUST SAYIN FROM UR EXPLANATION COS THIS ARE THE CAUSES U GET LETS HOPR ITS NOT KEEP UP DATE

Old 12-04-2007 | 12:53 PM

Here are the error codes. All appareently reveal a cylinder misfire issue.

P0300-080
P0301-081
P0303-083
P0302-085
P0300-067
P0301-068
Po303-070
P0302-072

Any ideas? Repair shop is insisting on changing spark plugs and wires first. $1000.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 100k miles + Check Engine light + running rough + no acceleration - ALL IN ONE DAY!!