Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 W210 "Power Reserve"????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Default '01 W210 "Power Reserve"????

Me again lol..

Hey gang, can anyone else with an '01 E430 tell me if they have a "power reserve" once they turn off the car? I have gotten mixed answers from mechanics etc. Some say its an option? That just does not make sense to me. Most companies either sold their cars with it or not. If my car does have it its not working, I talked to one other Benz employee who actually owns a twin to my car and he says he DOES indeed have it.

So I guess the core question is, if my car is indeed supposed to have the reserve what possible culprits could be keeping it from working? I have checked all fuses and I have read my owners manual cover to cover, the mechanic also said the ignition switch might be the problem and that you also should be able to program the duration of the reserve if it is indeed installed.

BTW, by "Power Reserve" I mean the ability to still run the radio, power windows etc. Once you turn the car off and remove the key usually for a period of approx 30 sec -10 minutes. As long as no doors are opened.

Thanks again guys.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned
Default RE: '01 W210 "Power Reserve"????

Most systems allow for the radio to be turned on after the key is shut off.And then you have the rest option that allows heat to be left on during about 30 minutes after engine shut off.Windows you have the remote convenience feature,that allows you to lock and close the windows and sunroof after exiting the car.
ohlord

Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Hi Ohlord and thanks, so is there a fuse I should be looking for in particular or a control module perhaps?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 AM

There is no single control module that controls what 'ohlord' is referring to.
You can turn on a MB radio anytime without the key and it will stay on for approx. 30 min.
The rest option is on the heat feature of the climate control. Once again it will pump out heat for approx. 30 min. I have never tried it other than after an engineshut down in the winter. It doesn'trun the A/C since the compressor is off although the fan runs and will pump in hot outside air.
The window convenience is part of the central locking system that lets you put all the windows up or down and simultaneously opens or closes the sunroof. It will NOT operate from inside the car since the key fob must be pointed at the sensor in the door handle.
I believe newer models have the power convenience feature whereby thewindows will operate normally for 10?? minutes after the key is off and removed. My BMW has this feature.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 AM

I agree with the other posts but would ask whether your radio is OE fit?
Maybe it is after market and has been connected in a "non MB" approved way.

The radio is normally connected to a specific output from the body electrics module that provides power under the conditions that we are talking about..
If however the radio were to be connected to the ignition feed rather than the "special" auxiliary power feed, then it would not provide the convenience feature.

Other than that I can't think why your car should not be able to operate like its "sister".

Maybe there is software control on this feature. Can't think why so would doubt it.

Stuart

Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Once again great feedback from everyone and thanks! Actually the radio is not OE, but it has all the same features etc so I used all the same wires, but I also know just how fickle wiring can be and it makes total sense the the OE unit could be configured in a special way that the non OE unit is not and thus the capability to operate when the key is off would be lost. Ahhh well. A fair loss I guess sense I just did not like the performance of the OE head unit and amp. But I do like my toys and gadgets and hopefully on my next step up I will not have to change anything inside at all

Thanks everybody.

-MARC