Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"TAKE KEY" I've HAAAD IT what is this??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Default "TAKE KEY" I've HAAAD IT what is this??

[:@]Someone, in the name of God, please help. 96e320 says take key after I turned her off and took the key out..she'll let you take the key in or put it back in but she keeps saying TAKE KEY..she'll even START and go forward (but won't turn because the sterring wheel is locked up..I've tried jiggling, pressing brake..checked fuses..I'm going CRAAAZZYYY does anyone know wtf this is please help I'm losing it...[:@]

Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Default RE: "TAKE KEY" I've HAAAD IT what is this??

Ok, sorry...just panicking my cars out in the middle of nowhere..ok..when you remove the key, it keeps saying "TAKE KEY"..even though you've already removed the key. The steering wheel moves a little bit to the left or right but is "locked" and won't turn. When you stick the key back in, it will let you start the car, everything seems normal, BUT..the steering wheel remains locked. You can drive it backwards or forwards but the steering wheel won't "unlock". I've tried unhooking battery (thinking it was electrical problem I could "reset" or something), pressing brake pedal, putting car in neutral, jiggling steering wheel and playing with key..it just keeps saying take key when the key is out, and the steering wheel wont unlock. Car starts and everything...I don't know what to do..?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 AM

Very strange.
I'll be interested to see if anybody else has ever come across this problem.

Since the steering is remaining "locked" the locking pin must be jammed or the solenoid not working correctly. This will likely need a new component so you are likely going to have to get the car trailered to the dealer.

The Take (Remove) Key comment is possibly the system recognising that the "locking pin" has not retracted.

However, I am confused by the fact that the car "starts" and can even be driven with the steering "locked". Maybe this is just an OVERSIGHT in the logic. (Key OUT but lock pin IN. A situation which may not have been considered)

I'm not familiar with the details of the Electronic Ignition Switch EIS on this model/year of car but I am amazed that the logic allows a "start" yet alone "gear selection" under the circumstances.

You've done all the "tricks" that I can think of including the "disconnect battery".
Did you leave it 10 mins or so when you did this.
If not try again but ensure the system is left disconnected for 10 mins or so just to be sure everything has discharged.

Keep us advised. Good luck!

Stuary

Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 AM

Called to have her towed in this morning..it's even stumped the shop..I'll post the outcome on when I find out...ughhh