Mercedes CLS Class CLS500 Coupe.

Price drop in Benz?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Default Price drop in Benz?

Greeting, I am new to the forum so this is my first post but I just wanted to know if you anyone knows of any known mechanical problems with the CLS500? I have noticed a dramatic price reduction in the S-Class, CL, CLS, E and C-class (2002-2006) and I wanted to know if anyone knew why they are not retaining their values. Benz used to be the best car in regards to re-sale values.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Price drop in Benz?

I have a 2006 CLS which I purchased new. And now the dealer would like to give me$35,000 for it!!!! I only have 9000 garaged and covered miles on this thing!! I'm pissed and this will be my last one after owning 3!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

The price of any make or model car drops like 40% within the first few years. You should have seen this coming like a few thousand miles away anyways. If you can't take the hit, perhaps you're shopping too high end for your income level? (no offense intended)

Old 10-23-2008, 06:41 PM

I see why you would accept a 40% price drop on the low end cars you have purchased. I also would expect a 40% dropon a Honda civic or a low end MB.Maybe you should try to trade your Honda in for a CLS and compare the price drop.That would only be if you could afford the CLS.(no offense intended)

Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

You will never get full price if you trade the carat the dealer. And there are several reasons for this.
1) The dealer is a reseller; if they take a trade, it will be at wholesale price notused-retail price, because their intent is to mark it up and sell it. You know, "buy low and sell high".

2) A reputable dealer often invests a reasonable amount of money into the car for things like repairs, new tires, exhaust systems, or whatever is needed to make the car suitable for resale, and protect their good name.

3) In some cases, the trade is too old (over four years) to be sold at a fancy dealer, and has to be auctioned or traded to a secondary reseller. In this case they don't really want your used car, but are handling the trade to get your business.

4) The tight economy has slowed the sale of high end used cars for obvious reasons. Even wealthy people become more thrifty when the economy is weak. Fewer potential buyers lowers the price.

The best thing to do in your case, is to sell the car directly to a retail customer.

Blue

Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

When selling to directly to retail customers, you can get a fair price. I have bought cars new and resold them the same year without taking that huge alleged value drop. Retail customers don't expect to pay half-price for a one year old car. Many see the value in taking the car at the remainder of the loan value, and saving whatever payments have already been made, and comparing to a new car with slightly fewer miles.

Blue

Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 AM

Let me clear things up. I love my CLS and have no intentions of selling it. I was only commenting on the topic (Price Drop). My MB salesman during these hard times, finds it his duty to call me and make me offers towards a new MB. If and when I decide to part with the CLS, it will go to a good private home!

Junejor