Mercedes CLS Class CLS500 Coupe.

06 CLS500 Aftermarket HID Install Issues

Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Default 06 CLS500 Aftermarket HID Install Issues

I know...first post but I am a bit desperate,

This is a new car to me, and I didn't have access to wiring diagrams.

This is a customers vehicle.

Customer installed a set of aftermarket HID's. What happens is that the HIDs come on when the key is on. When you crank and the vehicle starts, the HID's flicker and then shutoff.

The HID's were initially wired directly to the original bulb socket wires. We attempted the standard relay setup to have the headlight switch trigger the relays to switch the headlights on with the power wired directly to the battery. This didn't work. Hooked up the fluke and watched the signal. It would actually jump up and down.

Our final guess was that the car has a module that controls the headlights and that the signal is different with the HIDs and is causing them to not function correctly.

Just a guess, as our system didn't have diagrams for the CLS.

Anyone have any ideas or heard of this before? Or does anyone have the headlight/lighing system wiring diagrams and power distributon wiring diagrams?

This isn't really about money, but helping a frustrated and disappointed customer. My guyspenta lot of time off the clock just trying to accomodate the guy for the weekend.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Default RE: 06 CLS500 Aftermarket HID Install Issues

hey i have the new c class and im tryn to do the same thing but wont work. if you found out how to install the HID pleas let me know how you did it.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Default RE: 06 CLS500 Aftermarket HID Install Issues

The 35 Watt kits actually use less wattage than the computer expects, you must use a canceller to use up the extra 20 watts;