Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Tension rod bushings and control arm bushings replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 08:30 PM
Default Tension rod bushings and control arm bushings replacement?

Hi, I have a 2005 Mercedes CLK 320 with 77,500 miles on it. I've been told that the "front tension rod bushings are torn and require replacement", that the "front lower control arm bushings are cracked and have some freeplay", and the "front wheel bearings have some freeplay" and that the "inner tie rods have minor freeplay"

I had this confirms with another mechanic as well. So for parts and labor to replace the control arm/w (front left, front right, lower left, lower right), joint & bushing and sway bar link-front all out the door is $1,629. See picture below

My real question is...is this worth the money? I plan to keep this car for another 3-4 years and that is it. Maybe even only 2. Is this something that really needs to be fixed? I've already replaced the idler pulley, temp sensor, water pump, front rotors and break pads, fixed a valve gasket leak, replaced the conductor plate due to transmission problems, did a complete transmission flush and a coolant flush, and I've replaced all 4 tires recently. I'm tired of putting money into this car. I've probably already spend $3500 for the above. Do I really need to spend more? If I do fix the below (and some other stuff), I could probably keep the car for another 5 years (or more)! There is no body damage and it is in good working order....so I guess that is possible. Just wondering what other people thought...

BTW, I don't drive around much these days due to Covid19 and working from home, though I will be moving to Austin soon so Texas....big area, lots of driving to get anywhere.

Thanks!