Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

plastic parts inside the car yellowing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Default plastic parts inside the car yellowing

all the plastic parts inside my car ( the o **** handles, the glove box handle, the face of the headlight controls for instance) are yellowing and the stuff is becoming somewhat gooey and coming off. does anyone know of a product i can use to reduce the crappy appearance of this? so that i can maybe sand off the plastic stuff and put something over it

Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Default RE: plastic parts inside the car yellowing

I have never herd of this? When did it start? You dont smoke in that car do you?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:20 PM

no no my car is my baby i would never smoke in it. i don't smoke. but it wasn't there when i bought it i know that much.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:52 PM

I used goof off on my steering wheel controls made them look great. I would be careful with the others. Ask a car detailer for an opinion, did you buy it new? I know on used cars they will have guys come out and shoot the seats and int parts with paint....

Old 08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hi CLK,

Here's a tip from the top. One of the biggest issues with preserving MB interiors, is getting the customers to use the proper cleaners. I'm not talking about brands etc, but rather chemistry 101. Here's the inside story. Many of the interior parts are made of vinyl, polyvinyl, polyvinylchloride, etc for proven durability and are an excellentmaterial choice,but the trick is NOT to use ANY type of ammonia or ammonia-based cleaners, or acidic cleaners. This will exclude many common glass cleaners, general cleaners, and disinfectants. In fact, cover the dash and other parts when cleaning the window glass. Ammonia chemically and aggressively reacts withchloride and breaks the material down quickly. Find and use cleaners that are alkaline and do not use ammonia. Detergents and cleaners with some sodium-hydroxide, which is an alkaline actually made from sea-water, are fantastic cleaners. Cleaners like this usually specifically state "sodium hydroxide" or "NO ammonia" for example.
The cleaners at the dealer are great for new cars, but they are so mildthey barely react with anything, including the dirt and grime. Older cars sometimes need serious cleaning, and the MB cleaners are not strong enough in my opinion, bite my tongue.You could try products like "Castrol super clean", or "purple power", which are both alkaline, sodium hydroxide based detergents. I suspect the purple color in all these products is the result of adding copper-sulfate as an ingredient not only to create the pretty purple color, but mostly as as an anti-fungal and disinfectant. Try something like that, and let me know if things turn around.

If they parts are too far gone, you can replace them, and take better care next time. Also watch out for the car-wash places; make sure they are using proper cleaners on your cars. normally cleaners are not a problem on cars that are in the junkyark in five years, but on MBs you have to consider the longterm because you certainly could keep the car for the rest of your life.

Blue

Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Generally, I try to use mild detergents like car-wash soap or dish soap to remove body oil or dirt. You know what I'm talking about. But if it will not come clean, I will try the stronger cleaners, and risk damage. If that doesn't work, I replace the part, because i'm not going to have some filthy interior.

Blue

Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM

I have a 2002 CLK430 Convertible with the Grey interior. I have 4 small pieces of rubber/plastic that have turned yellowish in color. the 2 rubber type pieces where the doors meets the back area and the 2 plastic parts on top when the top is down. Something has gor to get the yellow out. You can see the grey under the yellow is still there.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Default the goof off

i tried the goof off and i think it might have worked ok if i hadn't been sooo....harsh with it i guess. I just pushed to hard, its strong stuff and i think light swift brushing over the pieces would have worked better

Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 AM

I use detergents in my car to remove the dirty parts of the body. I also apply vinyl protectant with a clean rag to any vinyl parts such as the bumper and trim. This is what I do if I clean my car. seo services

Last edited by Peralta; 01-31-2010 at 08:20 AM.