Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Instrument cluster Replace Milage re-set?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Default Instrument cluster Replace Milage re-set?

Hi I was wondering on an 02 clk 430 cab I have about 36,000 miles on but I wanted to replace my cluster do to some bad LED elements, What would I have to do if I replaced with a used cluster with more or less miles on it, will it read correct or error and if it errors how do I fix it?

Old 03-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Default RE: Instrument cluster Replace Milage re-set?

When you sell it you have to inform the buyer, that the mileage is incorrect, there is a Federal law to that effect. When a dealer replaces one they order it preset for the mileage from the Parts depot. There are devices available at some speedo shops to change the numbers. The segments are out because they are not making contact, take apart and try cleaning gently.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:38 PM

Just as an FYI, same thing happened on my 2002 CLK320. Since I have an extended warranty, I'm having them fix it. This requires having them hold my car captive for 3 days while they order a new VDO set (entire instrument cluster) from the factory pre-programmed with my exact mileage. State law requires that the vehicle not be driven once ordered (to avoid mileage discrepancies). Parts plus labor is $1000(!!). Thank goodness for warranties....

Mark

Old 04-20-2005, 01:51 AM

Could you imagine the problems if there "wasn't" a Federal law to that effect. And even then ... there's still those people that try to squeeze it by the system.

Basically what happens here in California is, any time you take your car to the dealer for maintenance or in for a smog check your odometer readout is submitted to the state/federal computer system(s) whereas then when you run a CarFAX report, all of those odometer values are reported in all of their glory. So.. it makes it fairly clear when there's a discrepancy.