Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Help!! Trunk won't open...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Default Help!! Trunk won't open...

Help!!
I have a 2000 clk320. My problem is that the trunk will not open....
I went to the gas station to put gas for my snow blower (Yes, snow blower) closed the trunk and now..... the trunk will not open.
I've read every post on locked trunks here, tried some suggestions and still no luck.
My key-less remote will not open it, my release button in the car will not release it,
I've tried my manual key, which, just snapped in the lock and still no go.
I've tried pushing down on the trunk while some one else attempts to release the lock
still no go. I've tried taking out my back seats to get at the trunk (Don't know how to do that), and still nothing.

Short of going to the dealer and having them replace the lock and key.... is there another way into the trunk.

Please help!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Default RE: Help!! Trunk won't open...

Hi bigteddyb,

I remembered seeing someone with the sameissue on benzworld.org. You can search the W208 forum there and see how the problem was addressed.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 02-10-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the tip, and the url Tennisguy.
I will take the advice and see if I can't get my Gas cans out of the car.

Great forum.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 02-10-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Finally, got into my trunk through the back seat, now working on getting my trunk open.

From what I can see, this seems like a pretty common problem. I have cut and pasted the instructions from "Gary911" over at Benz forum. It worked for me, and I hope it works for you too.

How to get into your locked trunk from your locked back seat.

Gary911 wrote:

This is a big pain. I had the same thing happen to me. Some have had success lubricating the trunk lock and slowly working the thing free. I broke 1 key doing this before i decided mine wouldn't free up.

Skip this if your seatback is unlocked (you can see the orange flag on the rear deck)

Here's what I did. I removed the first aid kit tray in the rear window ledge. It's pretty easy to get out. Underneath there, you'll see hole about 4x6 inches square. You may have to enlist someone with smaller arms to get in there. If you feel in the opening toward the driver's side, you'll feel the cable that unlatches the rear seatback. With a stick, screwdriver or something, you can release it from it's mount by pushing it toward the outside of the car, away from you. It's only held in by a rubber grommet. Once it's free, just yank on it, and it will release the seat back.

Now you can get into the trunk. To get my trunk to actually open (had the console light on just like you do), i climbed in, got the trim panel off of the back rear, by the gas door. That's where you pcm is. It's encased in a foam block wedged in the fender, by the wheel. I unplugged and plugged the 2 wire harnesses to it, at which point, the key remote button opened the trunk.

Mine seems to work for about a week, then i'll have to reset the pcm again. When the trunk doesn't open, i can still hear the pcm working. Thought it may be pinched vacuum line, but doesn't appear that way. Dealer has deemed the PCM healthy. They claimed they could probably figure out the problem if they can have the car for 2 days. I can't be without the car for that long, and am hesitant to pay$1600 for them to "maybe" figure it out.

The alarm doesn't arm either. AND, the fuse for the trunk light and rear interior light will blow as soon as it's replaced. This all started happening at once. I'm not thrilled with the whole thing. Not really sure what i'm going to do next. Guess i'll start with getting the mechanical lock working.[/align]

Cheers

Big Teddy b.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 PM

This is a very common problem. To help stop it re-ocurring you should opne the boot with the manually on occasions, otherwise you will come across this issue.

It happened to me and since I have been using a combination of this - no problems so far

Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Unhappy Exactly Same Problem as Bigteddy

Originally Posted by bigteddyb
Finally, got into my trunk through the back seat, now working on getting my trunk open.

From what I can see, this seems like a pretty common problem. I have cut and pasted the instructions from "Gary911" over at Benz forum. It worked for me, and I hope it works for you too.

Gary911 wrote:

This is a big pain. I had the same thing happen to me. Some have had success lubricating the trunk lock and slowly working the thing free. I broke 1 key doing this before i decided mine wouldn't free up.

Skip this if your seatback is unlocked (you can see the orange flag on the rear deck)

Here's what I did. I removed the first aid kit tray in the rear window ledge. It's pretty easy to get out. Underneath there, you'll see hole about 4x6 inches square. You may have to enlist someone with smaller arms to get in there. If you feel in the opening toward the driver's side, you'll feel the cable that unlatches the rear seatback. With a stick, screwdriver or something, you can release it from it's mount by pushing it toward the outside of the car, away from you. It's only held in by a rubber grommet. Once it's free, just yank on it, and it will release the seat back.

Now you can get into the trunk. To get my trunk to actually open (had the console light on just like you do), i climbed in, got the trim panel off of the back rear, by the gas door. That's where you pcm is. It's encased in a foam block wedged in the fender, by the wheel. I unplugged and plugged the 2 wire harnesses to it, at which point, the key remote button opened the trunk.

Mine seems to work for about a week, then i'll have to reset the pcm again. When the trunk doesn't open, i can still hear the pcm working. Thought it may be pinched vacuum line, but doesn't appear that way. Dealer has deemed the PCM healthy. They claimed they could probably figure out the problem if they can have the car for 2 days. I can't be without the car for that long, and am hesitant to pay$1600 for them to "maybe" figure it out.

The alarm doesn't arm either. AND, the fuse for the trunk light and rear interior light will blow as soon as it's replaced. This all started happening at once. I'm not thrilled with the whole thing. Not really sure what i'm going to do next. Guess i'll start with getting the mechanical lock working.[/align]

Cheers

Big Teddy b.
Dear Big Teddy, I have exact same problem and but all this looks too much to me, I always thought that I mistakenly pressed some switch and that has struck my Trunk. And its Struck for a year now, I am not even sure if I will be able to open it by these methods.

Please suggest you, or someone, if there some other way

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 AM

is it a convertible...had that issue the other night. Just had to cycle the top, I guess I didn't let it complete the cycle fully.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bigteddyb

Gary911 wrote:

Cheers

Big Teddy b.
Dear Big Teddy and Gary911,

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! All these years later, you and your instructions are still out here saving lives. Oh, these Benzes and there crazy problems.

AckVig

Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 AM

I had this problem a year until I found the problem.
The problem is that the strings on the right side of the roof covering

Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Got my trunk open with help from you. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help!! Trunk won't open...