Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Help on replacing belt...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Default Help on replacing belt...

I was driving home from work minutes ago when my serpentine belt decided it no longer wanted to be a part of my car. Therefore, I need to replace.

I have a 2001 CLK 430 with approx 65k on it. I would like to do this myself as I did on my BMW a few years back. What's the average cost of taking this to the dealer or independent shop? I know it can't be that difficult as long as I can get to the pulleys. I really need to get this done over the weekend, like tomorrow!

Does anyone know of a DIY online or have any diagrams or pics of the process?

Thanks for the help!

-Z

Old 06-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help on replacing belt...

If you go to the authorized dealer, the belt is likely under $100, and ask them to print off a belt/pully diagram for you. A diagram is probably under your hood or in your user manual anyway.

The belt broke early, in my opinion. I would look for another problem in addition. While the belt is off, make sure all your accesory pulleys are free spinning. Obviously you wont be able to spin the crank or the a/c compressor. And check the pulleys for damage from wrecks, rocks, sticks, repairs, etc.

The only other things that I remember cause the belts to break early is a siezed pully, extreme overheating, mis-alignment of pulleys from improper replacement parts, and punching-it (racing) all the time.

good luck,

Charles