Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

CLK430 - Creak from rear parcel shelf area ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Default CLK430 - Creak from rear parcel shelf area ???

Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to this forum and hopefully someone may be able to help me out.

I've just purchased a 39,000 mile 2002 CLK430 and overall am very happy with it. It had two main problems that seem to be extremely common; i.e. one or two segments missing from the digital clock and the drivers seat forward / backward motor not operating. Both of these were corrected easily enough by MB dealer.

Now the only ****le is that there is a sort of metallic creak or crack that is coming from the area of the rear parcel shelf on the passenger side, I guess it is coming from inside the cabin or from the trunk. It only really happens when you go around a corner and is not always apparent, also is not suspension related as you can go over a large bump and never hear it.

I know it is a very long shot but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and somehow managed to trace it, then correct it ??? I know it is a 4 year old car and that these things happen and the likelihood is that I will never find what causes it but there is always the chance that someone had a similar problem and managed to fix it.

Many thanks in advance

Old 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Default RE: CLK430 - Creak from rear parcel shelf area ???

I too have the same noise coming from my parcel shelf in my 2002 clk 230 . I haven't sourced where the noise is coming from but i hear it more often as I back out of my driveway on to the street. There is a slight kerb to negotiate so this bump may be causing the creak. But I do hear it at other times. I also have digital display problems with my clock and temp readout . I wonder how easy the fix is? I also have other problems that I've posted and hoping to get sorted such as very high fuel consumption and ecu light on . Been told front Lambda sensor is sending a weak signal but I cant understand why the car is really using fuel. 15 to 20 mpg ....UK measure.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Default RE: CLK430 - Creak from rear parcel shelf area ???

I hear the same noise in my 2002 CLK320. I also have a problem with the time/temp display. My local M-Benz dealership told me it would cost about $1,000 to fix the display and it's not worth it. I really want to get that fixed but I don't wanna spend that grand either. I know I'm not offering any fixes, just letting you know I FEEL YOUR PAIN!