Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.
View Poll Results: MB CLK 320 Ignition
MB CLK 320 Ignition
100.00%
MB CLK 320 Ignition
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

CLK 320 Ignition Problem Key.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Default CLK 320 Ignition Problem Key.

ORIGINAL POST>>“Hello. I have a 98 CLK 320. 114k miles Today, I went to turn key and nothing happened. Usually you hear a quick noise( I figure steering unlock) when you insert key. Nothing today. I changed batteries in key remote. Still nothing. When you put key in ignition, the instrument panels says “take key”. When you take the key out, you can see mileage, temp, time, like normal. I have been researching online and I am not sure what it is. The battery is new, checked fuses, all ok. If it’s the EIS, I can’t find one anywhere online? Anyone have any ideas? Thks. T”

I found a used part toady. It is the EIS with key. I bought it and I am going to swap them out. Do I need to have the key reprogrammed? I asked and they said the programming is in the "module". The module is separate from the EIS. So they said I should be able to remove the old EIS and put used EIS with key in, and it should work. I am mechanically inclined and can do this job. I installed the new key and EIS today. Its still doesnt turn? Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, the new EIS buttons work fine. They can unlock/lock doors and trunk. PLS. Going on 4 weeks now. THANKS ! Tony

Attached picture

Attached Thumbnails CLK 320 Ignition Problem Key.-dscn1074.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 PM

You need the steering lock buddy......what you can do is .... take out the bottom panel to access the steering lock, tap on the steering lock with a hammer an I would say about 60% it will free up the actuator ...an you will be able to turn the key to pos 2 an start the car.....then I would advise you to take it to the dealership...steering locks half to be CODED/MARRIED to the vehicle ....if the key still does not turn then you steering lock pin will need to be drilled out...(bad news for your wallet)the reason why I know its not your eis or key is because you said the cluster had remove key shown....that mean the vehicle an eis reconizes the key..let me know what happens ...