Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Alignment issues - pulling to the right on 19"s

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Default Alignment issues - pulling to the right on 19"s

So I just got my 2003 CLK 500, LOVE it!!!! I recently sold my M5 for this car, and I'mimpressed.

Anyway it has 19"s on it and it's pulling to the right, not a lot but you can feel it. Took it to the alignment shop today and they said that it has inexpensive tires that is causing it to pull. Now I agree they may not be top shelf but would that cause that issue. They checked and said the toe and camber were slightly off so they adjusted.

Question - should I take it to the MBZ dealer for a second opinion?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

Mike

Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Default RE: Alignment issues - pulling to the right on 19"s

A COMPETENT TIRE SHOP SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIX YOU UP. CHEAP TIRES SAY ONE THING......TIRE PULL. YOU DIDNT LET US KNOW IF THE PULL IS GONE AFTER THEY ADJUSTED THE ALIGNMENT. IF IT DID NOT THEN ASK THEM IF THEY CHECKED RIDE HEIGHT. IF THEY DID NOT CHECK THE RIDE HEIGHT, TELL THEM TO. IF THEY DID THEN HAVE THEM SWAP THE FRONT TIRES FROM SIDE TO SIDE.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 PM

It was a little better after they adjusted it, however I think I'm going to deal with it as it's not that bad at this point and then get new tires when these where down. Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

I hear it. One of the hardest things to do is find a good tire shop. I could write a list of the nightmares. Most of them just want to rush your car in and out, and that's completely unacceptable. You will likely spend a thousand dollars in that store for less than thirty minutes work. Go with your instincts; if it is pulling then you are wasting your tires.

Many of these tire stores do NOT have a clue as to how precisemere tire-work on a Mercedes has to beto simply maintain your currentride quality. It is very likely that if you visit the wrong store, your ride and tire wear will be worse with your new tires, than with your old ones. Many tire stores employ newbies, teenies, trainees, and whatnots, who do not need to be working on your car. Was that somewhat coarse? Here are some real examples of experiences I have had at the tire store; hopefully my experiences will benefit you.

During an alignment, it was noticed that my drag link was damaged. This was reasonable due to the condition of the roads here. The shop wanted to put a cheap spoof-brand part on my car; I insisted on an authentic MB link.This was a $400.00 part.The part arrived in a new clean Mercedes box. I inspected the part before installation. It was beautiful, clean, and new without so much as a single scratch, not even a fingerprint!Relaxed that the proper part had been purchased, I let my guard down and settled in the waiting area, only to bealerted by the banging sound of a sledge hammer shortly after. I forced my way into the shop area to find that this dolt had absolutely mutilated my brand new link with a pair of vise grips and a sledge hammer during installation. The brand new link had hammer hit-marks on it. The paint was wrung off where he had used a vice grip to hold it instead of a 17mm wrench. It was the worst hack-job I had ever seen in my life, not to mention the possible colateral damage to other components. It was completely rediculous.

You know there is a "cheapo" market where stores and individiuals can buy discounted, less than perfect, reject/defect tires to save $10. I am specifically speaking of tires that are out-of-round, fail the roundness quality inspection at the factory, but are otherwise safe if you do not mind a constant shake in the wheel. These tires do not belong on mercedes cars; the change in ride comfort is immediately noticable. Yet shopsknowingly or unknowingly sell these tires to customers everyday. The shop will argue that the tires balance fine,"0.0". But regarless, it will still shake the car to death, and you will feel it.
The machine that detects thistype of defect is called a road-force machine, and apparently very few shops have them. You should research road-force and tire defects if the ride of your car has significantly changed to the worse..

The last and most dangerous example was when the tech apparently could not figure out how to adjust the mercedes linkages to correct the camber, so he loosened the front axle nuts to make the wheels read straight on the alignment machine. I got a great report on paper, but ten mlies down the road my front wheel AND hub nearly came off.

Good luck, go with your insticts, if it rides badly something IS wrong; get better service.

Blue