Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

2001 CLK430 with the roll bars in the full up position

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Post 2001 CLK430 with the roll bars in the full up position

I have a 2001 CLK430 with the roll bars in the full up position.

Holding the button for 10 seconds does not reset them.
Note really sure what caused the RB to deploy; no one was in the car when they went up. Also the top was down at the time.

I have read about holding the safety latches open and pressing down on the headrests (roll bar) until locked.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ering-how.html

I removed everything required to gain access to the latches and propped them open; I then loosened the screw on the hydraulic pump three turns and tried to push down the roll bar. Nothing. I then backed the car in the garage and had someone push the headrest down button while I stood on the headrests pushing off the ceiling. It worked! They went down and stayed down. I then removed the wedges that were holding open the latches and pressed the headrest up button.
The two cylinders that release the roll bar mechanical locking mechanism extend and release the locks. After I release the button the roll bar mechanical locking mechanism engages and I get a ratcheting noise until the RB is fully extended.
Stuck up again!
I have no hydraulic leaks that I can see.
Is it possible the hydraulic block for the headrest is leaking internally?
Has anyone tried to rebuild one? (Have looked for drawings of it but no luck)
Purchased a PDF version of the car service manual but it has nothing on the Cabriolet in it.
I feel like the valve is not allowing fluid through when lowering the RB, this might explain why opening the pump bleed valve does not make any difference in the amount of force required to lower the roll bar.

I’m at a loss! Can’t put the top back up until I get the headrests down.