Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

2000 CLK430 Convertible Top Not Closing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 PM

they are literally cable with black plastic on the cable. should not be visible from inside car. its thin cable like spaghetti thinkness.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM

I fixed the convertible problem by having to replace the Vacuum Cylinder located under the top of the trunk. EOM part# 1298001672 cost $180.00. This part is known to leak hydraulic fluid over time. You'll need to take the carpeting off the bottom of the top cover. If you can raise the top cover that makes it easier, if not you'll have to lie on your back in the trunk and do it. Pry out the center of all the fasteners and the carpet/insulation will come down. You'll see the Vacuum Cylinder and whole lock assembly there. If that whole mechanism is covered in hydraulic fluid then that's probably it. Take out 4 bolts and 2 hex nuts and unscrew the hydraulic shaft and its out, then attach the new one the same way.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Default CLK top closing

I also have broken elastic straps and the top starts to go down to behind the driver's seat, then stalls, and then I have to manually push it to close it. After I apply presure it closes. Is this a broken cable or fluid leak?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Question My baby Sadie has problems,2000 clk320,convertible top switch,and wont start sometim

Hi there please help me, I am so bummed, my 2000 clk320 cab,was stalling at a light,then turn over like it was out of gas, then 3 minutes later it would start and be fine, usually when i first started after a while, so i put dry gas and a can of sea foam, figuring i ran low one day on fuel, and might have picked up condensation,, it finallt died and wouldn't start,i kept trying every 5 min, but it was finally broke, I was glad to finally have it diagnosed so i could end this getting stuck whenever, Im 60 and a weak ticker, but i love my sadie, any way i go to see one more time if it will start, and 1 turn and it starts and runs fine, i take it for a 2 hour drive, with mixturs in gas tank now, so I am happy, it might have been dirt or water in the tank, so i go home shut it off, and it starts i try again and it starts, so i am happy now.....
I take a shower, get ready to visit my children, it ,,you guessed it, no start, turn over ,, and over, and over, but no start,, what do i do?????

Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Unhappy Same guy .different problem,, happened today,clk320

Hi again, its me, the 60 year old dude, with a bad day with my baby Sadie,,,I was showing my son,who is visiting how the car looked with the top down on my 2000 clk320 cab, when i unlatched the roof crank, i pushed up but not enough,,so when i lifted power switch, to lift top up. it started process then just stoped, the boot was up and the window area was up so i manually just pushed boot down and pressed rear where window is, down into whole for it,, it wouldnt go completely down, now power swith wont do anything ,,not even a noise, i cant figure which fuse box holds fuse, if it even is the fuse, i have it all shut right now, but a little space in rear window, ,,,,Could it be fuse and will it work again, HELP