Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self-closing trunk lid not closing properly

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Default Self-closing trunk lid not closing properly

Again, THANKS to all who read and/or respond.

Car is a 2005 E320 CDI (Diesel) sedan.

The self-closing feature on the trunk lid is acting up.You can press the red-lighted push button under the edge of the trunk lid (located just to the right of the trunk catch) and it makes the right kind of sounds just as it did when it was functioning correctly, however, the lid does not pull down by itself. The lid can be pushed down manually, but it does take a tad of effort. (Not too much effort, but just a good two-finger push, or to put it another way, more than it would take to close a regular lid that does not have the self-closing feature.) Once the lid gets about 98% of the way down, the self-closing feature takes over and pulls the lid down the last tiny bit and then it latches by itself. The lid opens using the door-panel button from inside the car and with the remote just fine. It also opens fine with the manual outside handle near the license plate. Everything else (door locks, etc.) all work perfectly on the rest of the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

The car is a Mercedes Certified car and it is within the miles and time limitations. Do you thinkthe warrantywould cover this repair if it isn't something simple I can do myself?

THANKS from Ed and best wishes to all.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Default RE: Self-closing trunk lid not closing properly

I would suggest anytime something can be covered by MB warranty, have it done at the dealership. You will have ample time to do your own repairs when the warranty lapses.