Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

£2000 spent, car still wrong, merc wont help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Default £2000 spent, car still wrong, merc wont help

Hi...........im in a very, very deep and dark hole!!

I have a 2000 reg clk soft top, 320 (w208 chassis)

due to water getting into the engine ecu last November my car has been at an indi workshop for 4 months!!!

The ecu was blown and as they cost £1250 we tried to get a kit from another car, the ecu can NOT be reprogrammed from car to car after it has had 40 key turns so you have to by them from a Merc dealership. but it had also blown the EIS unit (the bit you put the key in) and the steering lock, all these 3 parts + the key are coded to each other and can not be interchanged from another car unless you get all 4 from one car.
So i had to go to Merc and buy the parts........£1700 worth!!!!!!!!!

The problem is that the ecu, which is programmed by merc pre delivery to your cars chassis number thinks the car is a w210, which is a 4 door, ive seen it with my own eyes on the STAR machine!, this means for starters that the roof will not come down, or the windows, but its also confused the esp system which is putting the car into limp mode.
I took the car down to the dealership where i bought the ecu, they had it for 6 days before looking at it and they say that the ecu is fine and correct and that the fault is with the EIS unit which has been programmed wrongly by the indi,......but he used the green key suplied with the unit from the merc dealership that he uses (as he trained at the one i got the ecu from and thinks their a bunch of idiots) the green key comes with all the imfo already programmed on it (it costs £180 to get the key from them but you get your money back when you return it) so again whatever problem exists its down to Merc and their coding, not the indi............
Now the ecu has done 40 key starts its locked to this w210 chassis and is basically junk!!......
The dealers i bought the ecu from are saying that they checked it once, identified the problem (and told me that the BAR (i think) was faulty too.....only my model doesnt have one!!) they are not willing to get further involved unless i pay...ive already spent £2300 to have a car fitted with genuine pre coded merc main dealer parts.....if they think im going to start forking out for them to correct their own **** ups their mad.
What do i do now, where do i go to complain and get this sorted?
I have found out that main dealers are allowed by Merc to order 3 parts for any car to try them and see if they fix the problem, it would appear that this ecu has been sent to a dealers, tried and sent back to Merc and the 210 coding has been locked in there and not removed before its been sent to me, or the wrong chassis number has been put in, either way its not my fault and i want it fixing without having to pay any more money out!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Default Dam Bro

you're between a rock and a... well.. a wall.

My CLK500 '05 Cabriolet did the same thing... my Trany control, the Ignition control AND the valve box went bust. First I had a dealer try to fix it (not mercedes, but where I bought the used Merc) since they didn't know how to code it, they sent it to merc.

Basically they needed two green keys, to ETCs and 2 EIS to finally get it all together. I dont know what to tell you other than trying to work out a way to get the ETC and EIS replaced. Mine came programmed work and I had to wait 10 days for Merc to send a new one.

Best thing with these programs are to always use the dealer, now you're in battle you can't win unless Merc exchanges that part, you undo the entire deal with the Indi, get your money back and check it as a merc dealer for that repair. I almost got screwed like that and for you to have an idea, my car stayed in the shop for 27 whole days until this *#(*@ was finally all resolved.

Don't forget that you have the BBB, FTC, your state's general attorney's office, the depart of motor vehicle... and ever kind of governament agency I activated on my case to put pressure... you might want to go that route as well. I had to even threat them that I was gonna post twitter, facebook and youtube videos against everyone and raise hell on a negative PR campaign if my issue was not resolved.

After that, the dealer where I bought the car authorized any and all costs to get the darn thing fixed. 27 days later I'm scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow.

Good luck.