Replace Audio10 CD tuner with new unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Default Replace Audio10 CD tuner with new unit

Hi everyone,

I have an old model A-Class LWB Piccadilly (2004) with a factory-fitted Audio10, which cannot play burned CDs. I'm looking to change this for a new store-bought Sony unit.

I know that I need the removal keys (any idea where I can get them in the UK?), but once the existing stereo is out, are there any unpleasant surprises? Should a new unit slot into the existing space without any fascia or antenna adaptors?

I'm getting conflicting views from shops, most of which want to charge £20-£40 to let a 16-year-old with a hammer attack my car! I'd appreciate any advice or experience that other users have had changing their Audio10 for a new unit. If there's no real choice, I'll pay for fitting, but it'd be good to do it myself if it's relatively straightforward.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

DW Roberts, Edinburgh.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Default RE: Replace Audio10 CD tuner with new unit

Just for the benefit of anyone else thinking of doing the same, the good people at my local Merc dealership removed the radio for free using their keys. It looks like the Sony stereo that I'm going to buy comes with the keys included. Behind the Audio10 was just the usual wiring block and antenna connections, so fixing a new one in place should be the work of a moment. You might want to bear that in mind before shelling out £40 at Halfords. Cheers, DWR.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM

Hey, just wondering did you install the Sony unit yet?

I bought the keys off ebay, and they fit the Audio 10 perfectly. I slid the unit out and it comes off easy enough, there's just the ISO connector and aerial connector at the back (I have 1999 A160). I'd like to replace the dated unit with something that plays CDs and MP3s, I know the connectors will fit but I'm not sure about the mounting.

Did you have any issues (ie drilling etc) because I don't want to ruin the appearance of the car

Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 AM

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Just to let anyone know, once the old Audio10 radio was removed by the Merc dealership using their keys, it is very simple to install a new radio in the old slot.

I went for the Sony MEX-BT2500 (for the Bluetooth and ability to play burned CDs) and it fitted perfectly. I expected the radio to "click" into position, but actually it sits in the slot fine.

The Sony unit comes bundled with a black plastic fascia which ensures that the finished look on your dashboard is perfect. Don't worry - there are no messy gaps or spaces between the unit and the rest of the dash.

Having used it for a couple of months now, the Bluetooth 'phone feature works a treat with my Sony and now Nokia N95 phones. The additional power also makes music sound a bit better, although I guess replacing the factory-fitted speakers would make a bigger difference.

Sorry for the delay in replying to the post above, and message me here if I can offer any other advice. Good luck, and happy 2008 to everyone!

Best wishes,

DWR.