please help me with this small prob

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Default please help me with this small prob

hi all this is my first post hear i have a 1999 t plate a140 only had it a month or so . my first prob is that the passenger window works one min and the next it dont . the window will go down no bother at all but wont go back up . then it will go up just a little bit then stop and start . please help . also the engine wont rev over 4000 rpm then sitting in nutral . but when the car is moving it will rev over 4000 rpm under weight can anyone help me out on this one as i dont want to put it into the garage as i am skint from xmas . also the front wheel bairing has gone when i turn the wheel when driving it whinnes from one side am i right in saying its the bairing .. thanks for reading please help

Old 01-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Default RE: please help me with this small prob

Hi, OK don't panic!!!
Engine - the ECU will not allow the engine to be revved over 4,000 rpm whilst in Neutral (or park, if it is an Auto). It probably will at the garage if diagnostics are plugged in.

Windows - this will probably settle down - the car often has to re-learn (! honest) the functions, often after servicing, flat battery or any electrical work. Try 'exercising' the window - If it doesn't improve after a few days tak it to the garage (also try cleaning the glass as well!

Whining noise - if this happens when turning full lock it could just be the power-steering pump- check fluid level as a precaution. If it persists, jack car up, in accorance with Merc instructions and then try waggling wheel top and bottom to and fro if there is excessive movement it could be a bearing (Kwick Fit or Halfords might be able to give a hint for free).

Good luck (sell the car when you can - it's an A-Class and things may only get worse - ours has been a nightmare!)

Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 AM

My A140 has the same window problem. If you tweak the switch i.e. turn it on about half way instead of trying it full tilt you can get the windows up and down no problem. They have a life of their own. Have fun anyhow