A-Class automatic not changing gear, spead meter is showing F

Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Unhappy A-Class automatic not changing gear, spead meter is showing F

Hello All,

I am having problem with A-Class automatic Merc. On the speed meter its coming up with F even though its in parking and when i change it to REVERSE or to DRIVE i get really strong jerk how ever when i drive it doesn't change gear. i checked transmission oil level which was low but i top up with more transmission oil with the exact level.

Will someone please help me as i have asked few people/garages and they are giving me different answers and options which is very expensive for me, if its just a reset thing and it can be fix with low cost where and what should i do.

Your answer to this thread will be much appreciated.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 AM

Hi Duke

It looks to me your having the exact same problem i did. its the Selector Module that needs replacing on your car you should be able to get hold of one for £30 - 50 from a scrap yard quite easily depending on your year. oh just to add its the big inside the car with the gear stick on it

Dan.

Last edited by mercedes500e; 12-14-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Lightbulb A-Class automatic not changing gear, spead meter is showing F

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for your kind reply, much appreciated. I took my car to different garages and they were all saying that i need to change the whole gear box which is quiet expensive and will not be worth it because of values of the car its 2001 model with 52000 mileage. how ever I took my car to reset the code and it start changing gears but after a little while F came back on the screen and gear stop changing, I've took it back to the garage and they reset the code but same result.

Now Dan, according to your suggestion if i replace Selector Module (which i have no idea what it is ) it can be resolved. i will try to get hold of all scrap yards in my area and see if they have one or else can i buy it over the internet? Could you also help me to identify what its look like so it can save me time and losing mind as all these garages are giving me quotes for replacing the gearbox.

Once again thank you so much, and i look forward to hear from you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Duke

It looks to me your having the exact same problem i did. its the Selector Module that needs replacing on your car you should be able to get hold of one for £30 - 50 from a scrap yard quite easily depending on your year. oh just to add its the big inside the car with the gear stick on it

Dan.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------