A190 Overheating...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:44 AM
Default A190 Overheating...

Hi All,
I have an A190 Petrol Automatic with Air-Con. On a long mountain pass the other day, a warning came on the dash to say that Engine Temp was too high. I pulled over and let it cool off but I noticed the Engine Cooling Fan wasn't running.

The Engine colling man on this model is a variable speed device controlled by a box that hangs in front of the radiator. This box receives Engine Temp and Air-Con pressure signals and then decides to run the fanfrom 20% to 100% of speed.

I've checked all related fuses and wiring and the fan motor. I'm assuming the Engine temp sensor is working (or the warning would not have come up on the dash) and the air-con is working (but I have no idea about any pressure sensor!).

My question is - would anybody know how to fool the Fan Controller box into switching the fan on. Ex - if I set the input on the control boxfrom the Engine Temp sensor to +12v, would that "normally" set the fan running? Clearly, I think this control box is the culprit but I'm not sure how to prove it.

Any help/ideas greatfully accepted before I bite the bullet and go see those awfully expensive people at Mercedes...

PaulR

Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM
NAZ
Default RE: A190 Overheating...

check theout put from the fan control module which is the silver aliminum block in front of rad

Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 AM

Thx.
I've since found that my cooling fan seems to run OK and I'm now thinking that the message I saw on the dash wasn't water/engine temp but something else not listed in the owners Manual. I'm going to MB on Wednesday to have them hook it up to their computer and see if anything has been recorded.
Bye for now
PaulR

Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 AM

Hi paulR did you read my subject on my A140 overheating? Any advice would be appreciated. Does the air con have to work for the fan to work at proper speed. I don`t seem tobe getting any help!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 AM

Hi Davos,
No, I hadn't read your message. My car seems to be running OK and MB garage says they can find ZERO evidence of over-heating. I know what message I saw on my dashboard but MB says that nothing is wrong... they are even incapable of telling me whether the message was related to Water/Engine Oil/Gearbox oil.

Back to your problem. I feel I can add little knowledge to help you. All I discovered through my fiasco was that my local MB garagedon't know the car very well (and don't seem to care). When it finally dies, I will not be considering an MB again - great cars, Service SUCKS!!! (at least where I live)

PaulR

GO