Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

HELP! Car stalling while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Default HELP! Car stalling while driving

Hello all!
I have a 2001 CL55 AMG which recently experienced a bunch of issues... and a new problem just appeared today. Since the dealer of my region is a complete moron, i will need some help from here...

The problems started one month sago, when a bright red signal appeared on the dashboard "ABC drive carefully"; at this stage the car's suspension were kind of weird (one bump on the road and the car would literally jump...) After one week, the car's height dropped dramatically.
With the help found on forums, I decided to change the ABC pump only (the dealer wanted to change the dampers and the airmatic pump (airmatic on a CL?)). It was changed last week, and it solved the problem.

But a new problem appeared 3 days ago. I was driving at around 80km/h (50MPH) at around 2000rpm when the car suddenly stalled. Frightening, since the direction became as well extremelly difficult to turn (steering pump off since the engine stalled I guess?).
I stopped the car, I started it right after; no problem, the car is behaving as nothing happened. I continue my ride; 10 minutes later, the throttle is not as responsive as before, and i feel a big loss of power. The white error message "ESP visit workshop!" appears intermittently while driving as well. One minutes after, the car is stalling again when I'm driving at 120 km/h (80mph)! and around 3000 rpm...

Then I had to go back home with an engine which is stalling every 5 minutes, blinking white error message "ESP visit workshop!". I stop the car, i start it immediately, drive 5 minutes, stalls, etc etc.

Today, the car had the same problem again, but to a bigger extent. Engine stalled when it was still cold, 3 minutes after driving. When I try to start it again, it stalls immediately after ignition. (i.e. it starts then stops 3 seconds later).

I'm getting my car towed to my useless dealer today.
Is there any link between the replacement of my pump, and this stalling problem?
After some reading on the forums, I was thinking that the crankshaft position sensor might be faulty. Any suggestions?[/align]

Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Default RE: HELP! Car stalling while driving

I dont know alot about Mercedes but I do know that there was an ABC recall a year or 2 ago. Not sure if that helps but its better than nothing.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Default CLS320 stalled

I was test driving a CLS 320 today and it stalled on a roundabout!!!
Obviously I'm not buying that car, but I would still like a CLS, however I'm concerned that this is a general fault either with this model or with Merc in general. I've had several Mercedes over the years ranging from S types to SLK's, apart from one SLK that I had to jam a screw driver into the gearbox to get the auto stick to move from Park to Drive, I've never had any problems.

Any similar experiences or explanations welcomed.

Mike