Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

XM vs. Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Default XM vs. Sirius

Howdy all -
Just got my 2008 C350 with the MM package and wow, whata great car. However, the Sirius radio reception in it stinks, and I get more times than not "no signal" or "acquiring signal". So I've had the car for about 7 days now and it's getting ready to go in on Wednesday for the second time for this radio problem. The first few days I spent troubleshooting with Sirius and they were unable to help me. SO I took it in to the dealer, and they upgraded all the software and it worked fine for a day. Now I have a new error message, no signal. I am not new to the satellite arena, and I have had XM for years, and it's fabulous. Iunderstand the whole "clear line of sight" and such and this is not the case. I am wondering, has anyone successfully removed the Siriusreceiver and replaced it with an XM one? I was worried about this when I got the car, but decided to take the chance. I guess you don't always win when you gamble and I think I’m loosing this battle...

p.s. I tried to search the forums, but it kept telling me that XM didn't have enough letters in it to search so....help!!
Thanks a bunch,
Matt

Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Default RE: XM vs. Sirius

sirius has better music and u probably just need to replace the antenna i love sirius

Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 AM

I just dropped off my car for the second time to have the unit looked at. The first time they had to update all the software and it still didn't fix it. Now they are going to replace the Sirius unit iself. It is a seperate unit from the head unit and I'm assuming it's under the seat but I can't confirm. Does anyone know?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM

If it's a reception issue the antenna is the issue. The module may be under the seat or behind the dash. I have XM in my GMC and it's awesome.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM

Isn't Sirius and XM about to join forces? Thought I heard that a few months back.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Yes but limited I think.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:47 PM

Sirius bought XM, my guess is because GM needed cash so it can keep making enourmous SUV's that they have to discount by $10K so people will buy them.From my experience,XM in general has better reception like when you go under overpassesbutSirius is still pretty good if the antenna is mounted properly. Sirius is offering ala carte for something like $7/mo which is pretty cool but hasn't done that with XM yet. I have all XM because I started withXM onone car and adding another radio is $7/mo vs. having one with XM and one Sirius, both at full price. As far as programming,I kinda liked some music channels on Sirius betterbut I like some things likecomedy on XM better, most of it ispersonal choice. I have XM because my wife likes it and personally prefer just using myiPod and download podcasts with talk shows and musicI want to listen to vs. what happens to be on at XM.