Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Wheel Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Default Wheel Bolt

I noticed today...that two of my wheel bolts fell off. Both happened to be on the passenger side, one on the front and one on the rear.

So I went to the Benz dealer bought the bolts. $8 each. Yikes!

I installed them right at the dealer lot. When I backed up to leave the lot, I heard "Glog...Glog...Glog"...where each Glog happened exactly at one revolution of the wheel. (There is also a small mechanical jolt to the car.)

So I came down and checked. I ran over nothig. Nothing is apparently broken. I got back in the car and tried to back up again. Same thing happened -- Glog Glog Glog.

The only change I made was putting the bolts on. So I took them off and tried again. No more Glog Glog Glog.

Now I am driving with missing bolts again on the wheels.

Any explanation on this bizarre phenonmenon?

Old 07-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Default RE: Wheel Bolt

Sound like a warped wheel or the mounting plate on the axle.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:17 PM

I just had another thought, check to see if the old bolts are the same size and head taper as the new bolts, you can have the wrong bolts, either the new or old ones? Also, I ordered some wheel spacers last year for the rear wheels, when I had them installed the rear wheels vibrated, after balancing the wheels twice the mechanic found the spacer weren't exactly flat on the hub, thus the vibration. So my thinking is either your hub (mounting plate) or wheel could be warped. The wrong bolts were sold to you or the wrong bolts were on the car, which might not make the vibration until you changed one.
I suspect the wheel or hub as the mechanic told me Mercedes cars don't like their wheels changed and if the are not torque by hand, and a air gun is used with a torque socket, it can warp the hub or wheels very easily.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:10 PM

Thanks Allan.

The wheels were balanced and trued right on the dime when they were missing a bolt.

I had this Glog Glog Glog problem after installing the new bolt Benz sold me.

To see if the wheel is warped, I took other bolts out and rearrange them. The Glog Glog Glog follows the new bolt. As soon as I took the new bolt out, it became perfect again.

Benz dealer gave me a bolt that is shorter on the head....though the thread part is exactly the same. The guy warned me about the length and said....the longer ones are no longer available.

Is 90-lb the torque to use on our '99 C280 OEM wheels?

Old 07-08-2005, 08:11 PM

You will have to replace all the bolts, and I'm not sure is the head length being all the same will fix the problem, I don't see why not, but really don't know. Look for my tread on parts suppliers, German dismantlers probably has them, the longer head bolt. I can't put my computer finger on the address, but I did post it either wednesday or thursday. a member was looking for parts sources other then the dealer. Tell German dismantlers specifically you want the long head bolt. Is there a number on the correct sized bolt? I don't remember, Also www.bekkers.com might be of help, That's were I got the spacers which came with the correct headed bolt but a bit longer. As far as the torque I need to look in the owners manual, I forget. I'll be back to you on this string.

Old 07-09-2005, 02:42 AM

Yea....I saw that post asking for a non-Benz part-supplier. And now I cannot find it.

Sorry....I wrote 90 lb. It should have been 90 ft.lb.

Germans probably specify N.M (Newton x Meter).

Old 07-09-2005, 01:44 PM

80 ft lbs is the correct torque for the wheels according to my manual and the standard 15inch wheels.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:35 AM

thats weird... i think u should make sure if the the "glog" noise comes from both wheels (front and rear) then it is possible like Wizard said, could be sold the wrong bolt.. so maybe u can try each one separately and check the "glog"...lol

Old 07-10-2005, 11:36 AM

I was thinking about the Eibach spacers that I told you about and the vibration. Now that I had some time to think about it more thoroughly I remembered the taper on the bolts heads were the same as the OEMS, but the installer did say the spacers were slightly warped, but the bolts were the correct length for the spacer and wheel. I had posted this on another board and a lot of people who had the same type of spacers and much wider then I bought had no problems, but the subject of the wheel bolts never came up. I remember calling Eibach myself and telling them of the problem and they said the spacer might be slightly warped and return them for new or money back etc. So, as an afterthought, I think it is most likely the bolts heads. As I remember the supplied bolt I think had a conical taper and were't the same as the OEM

Old 07-11-2005, 01:55 AM

You have the wrong bolts. Also, check the torque on the others before they fall out (110NM).
From the manual...

Service Precautions

Vehicle Damage Warnings

CAUTION
When switching between light alloy and steel wheels, ensure correct bolt is used.

Light Alloy Wheels have longer bolts and could make contact with Parking Brake Hardware

Quick Reply: Wheel Bolt