Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What am I in for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Default What am I in for?

After long deliberation, and believing I wouldn't have the winning bid, I now own a '99 C280 Sport w/ C1 and C6 Options. ( Oh, yea, it also has the power sun roof. Does that mean it has the C2 option? I havn't seen the car in person but the sunroof pack includes the split rear seat; which would be great.)

note: I can't believe I purchased a car w/o visually inspecting it[] My only rational is that a lot of other folks do it-folks I know, that is, that know things about cars- and it worked out for them.

The car has some miles on it (77K), but the exterior and interior appear very nice.

So, besides the recall on the battery, is there anything I should ask the dealer about the C280? Trouble spots for that model year, that is.

Now, don't shoot me for asking this question, but cheap minds what to know. Must I use premium gas? I know, there are strong opinions on both sides....however, is there some one with a '99/'00 MB V6 who can give a personal testimony to what happened when you used Mid-grade or (yikes!) regular? Some of what I've read indicates that the anti-knock sensor (which MB brags about in the description of this engine) will automatically lower compression ( by firing while the piston is below peak) eliminating the need for premimun. I don't want to start and argument here and I'm fully ready to spring for the cost of premium. It really only a couple of hundred a year more than reg.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6510/F2C6A1EA352C4113A33661623FC1620A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Default RE: What am I in for?

C1 option Xenon High Intensity headlamps with auto level, headted headlamp washers with wipers. rain sensing windshield wipers.

C2 power tilt/ tinted glass sunroof
60/6- split fold down rear seats
C6 is the sport option package

Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 PM

wizard,

So..have you been happy with you C280? [sm=gears.gif]

I pick mine up this Saturday in Boise ID. It is a California car which came to the northwest in 2003.
My concern is that owning a Mercedes is expensive. Have you found that to be true?

Thanks

BTW I spent a lot of years in Pioneer Valley.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 PM

NOt if it's under wauranty, which your 03 should be.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:19 AM

I love my C280. As I memtioned a couple times on other post, I bought it for its comfort for my back. But after about 4 years of ownership, I have really come to love the car. I have been told over the years, when you own a Mercedes you will never own anything else, and I am starting to thing this is true. I have had no major surprises, 1 bad MAS, 1 O2 sensor and the only issue has been 3 batteries since I got the car. I am told it is because I don't drive it enough. Which is true as my back get worse as time passes. I have added some custom touches. It is being detailed today and I should have it back my tomorrow PM, I will post a pic of the car and the completed short air intake I made and finally installed in its premanent place. So you lived in the Pioneer Valley? How long ago, I came from NJ up here on a job transfer and liked it and me and the wife stayed. But it has changed over the years, as everything does. But we still love living here. I still can't get use to the Winters after 30 years. If you get a good C280, it will serve you well.
As far as repairs, my Starmark runs out next month. But the two items I mentioned the MAS and O2 would have been over $300 each to replace. The batteries with my MBCA discount were around $90 and my son installed them. But labor up here is $90 per hour at one dealer and $95 at another and even with a discount of 20% on parts, a major malfunction can be expensive.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:29 PM

wizard,

Those are some pretty expensive repair bills. Starmark is available for my car: if the price isn't exorbitant, I'll buy it for 12mo.

I loved my time in Pioneer Valley.
I attended Springfield College, graduating in the late 1970's. After graduation I spent several years working in Springfield before I moved to the Berkshires. Stayed in New England until 1994 and then moved to Western Washington.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:39 PM

A very good friend of my Father Leo Hoar is the ministries pastor at Springfield College. Ah the Berkshires, still nice out there. Surbridge hasn't changed in the 30 years I've lived here. I moved to Chicopee from Jersey City, NJ and this is country compared to where I was born and raised.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:15 PM

How did your purchase turn out? Sounds like you bought your car on eBay.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:34 PM

I use Shell 93 octane of Sonoco 92 octane, runs better on Shell.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:43 PM

The big question is, do we have to use Premium (Super) gas in our cars? I have a 97 C230, and it says to only use "Premium" gas, which is usually 92-94 oct.

Can I use regular or plus (middle-grade) gas if I get it from Mobile/Exxon? I don't want to do long term damage to my engine, but im 20yrs old and broke like every other college kid, and I want to use cheaper gas!

-Evan